POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Problems with Interior/Media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with Interior/Media (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: ZuluNiner
Subject: Problems with Interior/Media
Date: 8 May 1999 15:00:14
Message: <37347bae.0@news.povray.org>
Well, the subject says it all.  I'm having a hard time with the interiors of
textures.  I've tried virtually every combination, and I can't seem to get
the interior settings to make ANY changes to the object in question at all.
Does anyone know a site on the web where I can get in-depth info, scene
files, or even tutorials specifically oriented towards the interior of a
texture??

Specifically, my current project is a ruby.  A ruby mounted in the pommel of
a sword.  Problem is that it's for web graphics, and the background has to
be black to match the site.  A Ruby rendered against a black backdrop simply
doesn't show up.  (It does, but it's virtually impossible to see.)  What I'm
trying to do to correct that is put a point light in the center of the ruby,
and give it a magical radiate/glow from within kind of thing.  No matter
what I've tried with media, I haven't been able to get the light to radiate.

Any suggestions/tips/sites?????

Thanks

--
ZuluNiner
aka Calin/Runesinger

Post a reply to this message

> Well, the subject says it all.  I'm having a hard time with the interiors of
> textures.  I've tried virtually every combination, and I can't seem to get
> the interior settings to make ANY changes to the object in question at all.
> Does anyone know a site on the web where I can get in-depth info, scene
> files, or even tutorials specifically oriented towards the interior of a
> texture??
>
> Specifically, my current project is a ruby.  A ruby mounted in the pommel of
> a sword.  Problem is that it's for web graphics, and the background has to
> be black to match the site.  A Ruby rendered against a black backdrop simply
> doesn't show up.  (It does, but it's virtually impossible to see.)  What I'm
> trying to do to correct that is put a point light in the center of the ruby,
> and give it a magical radiate/glow from within kind of thing.  No matter
> what I've tried with media, I haven't been able to get the light to radiate.
>
> Any suggestions/tips/sites?????
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> ZuluNiner
> aka Calin/Runesinger
> ZuluNiner at fuckyou dot co dot uk

   Media is not really suited to making the interior of a clear object
"glow". If anything it will cause you problems with clarity since it
is designed to be just what the name implies - a media. Media is good
for fog, smoke, special underwater cloud effects and that sort of thing.
  For what you are doing you will probably be better off just raising
the ambient value higher and let that control the visibility of the
object. Media is still a new feature and there is little to nothing
available on the subject yet. There are a lot of people struggling to
learn it and you are not alone. I have spent some time working with it
now and I can think of no advantage to trying what you are attempting
to do with it.

  Try something like this for your Ruby texture:

  object { Ruby
   pigment { rgbf <0.65, 0, 0, 0.98 > }
     finish  { ambient .6 diffuse .1 specular .7 roughness .0001 reflection .1 }
       interior { ior 1.35 }
   }

  If you were trying to model a photo realistic gemstone you would need to
increase the ior value. In the case where you are going to be using it on
a web pabe I suggest you leave it on the low side. This will help keep it
from trying to refract everything around it and allow you more control as
to what kind of backgrounds you can use with it.
   Don't use the light in the interior of the stone unless it is a last
resort. I have done it but with varying success and don't reccommend you get
in the habit of relying on that. Also read up on the looks like feature for
attaching a light source to an object. It too is the wrong thing to do here
but it is something you should read up on anyway. I used an ambient of 0.6
above. Don't be afraid to go as high as 0.8 if need be. Much more than that
and it will start to pass it's color onto the other objects around it. Real
stones normaly do not behave this way no matter how much we want them to.
Only in hollywood do you ever really see this happen because they have more
powerful carbon arc, precision focus, spotlights to use than we do.

Cheers,

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net