POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stress Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Stress (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Stress
Date: 27 Oct 2002 05:39:49
Message: <3dbbc275@news.povray.org>
Has anyone ever seen that funky transparent plastic that turns rainbow
colours when you try to bend it?

  1) does anyone know how this stuff works?
  2) can it be simulated with POV-Ray?

Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Stress
Date: 27 Oct 2002 14:31:18
Message: <chrishuff-A1B657.14243927102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dbbc275@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen that funky transparent plastic that turns rainbow
> colours when you try to bend it?
>
>   1) does anyone know how this stuff works?
>   2) can it be simulated with POV-Ray?

I don't know what you are talking about. Does it look like it gets many
tiny cracks in it? Or does it just get an iridescent oil-film look?

One possibility is microscopic cracks that form a diffraction grating,
like a CD. You might be able to simulate it with a normal of some kind
and dispersion.
Another possibility is a more complex effect having to do with
polarization...put cellophane or some other plastic between two
polarizing filters for an example. I've seen this effect on things like
CD jewel cases as well. You might want to look at the "irid" iridescence
feature, it is a fast way to simulate the "oil film" or "mother of
pearl" look.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Right, well, I suppose I was a bit vague...

I visited the London Science Museum one time... They had this plastic stuff.
Apparently they make scale models of bridges and stuff out of it to analyse
stress. Coz, the thing is, when you view it through this clear plastic sheet
(which probably polarises or something), and when you bend it, the most
stressed parts show up rainbow colours. (The lightsource might be "special"
too - it was in a dark room.)

Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> I visited the London Science Museum one time... They had this plastic stuff.
> Apparently they make scale models of bridges and stuff out of it to analyse
> stress. Coz, the thing is, when you view it through this clear plastic sheet
> (which probably polarises or something), and when you bend it, the most
> stressed parts show up rainbow colours. (The lightsource might be "special"
> too - it was in a dark room.)

There was probably a polarizing filter over the light source. POV can't
simulate this effect, but the irid feature might come close to looking
the same.