POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stress : Re: Stress Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stress
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Oct 2002 14:31:18
Message: <chrishuff-A1B657.14243927102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dbbc275@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen that funky transparent plastic that turns rainbow
> colours when you try to bend it?
>
>   1) does anyone know how this stuff works?
>   2) can it be simulated with POV-Ray?

I don't know what you are talking about. Does it look like it gets many
tiny cracks in it? Or does it just get an iridescent oil-film look?

One possibility is microscopic cracks that form a diffraction grating,
like a CD. You might be able to simulate it with a normal of some kind
and dispersion.
Another possibility is a more complex effect having to do with
polarization...put cellophane or some other plastic between two
polarizing filters for an example. I've seen this effect on things like
CD jewel cases as well. You might want to look at the "irid" iridescence
feature, it is a fast way to simulate the "oil film" or "mother of
pearl" look.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/