POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : important feature request Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  important feature request (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: ryan constantine
Subject: important feature request
Date: 15 May 2000 14:59:27
Message: <392049D9.8CAA923F@yahoo.com>
xref like autocad and 3ds max have.  it doesn't already have this does
it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: important feature request
Date: 16 May 2000 04:49:37
Message: <9s22issne22hvp1hiquodgs6mrk2jn38ua@4ax.com>
Hi ryan constantine, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> xref like autocad and 3ds max have.  it doesn't already have this does
> it?
Maybe you could explain what it does? I'm not proficient in AutoCAD or
3DS Max.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: ryan constantine
Date: 16 May 2000 19:02:54
Message: <3921D42D.B935B89A@yahoo.com>
when you make a model and save the model alone, an xref in a scene file
will check each time you load it to see if the model has been updated.
if it has, it updates the model in the scene as well.  xref stands for
external reference.  this is handy if for example, you make a car, save
it, then include it in a scene and later change the car model itself.  i
have many parts of a model that are saved seperately as models and
combined to form a more complex model.  if i notice a mistake in one of
the parts, not only do i have to change the original part, but i have to
delete the part from the big model and then merge the new updated part
back in.  is that clear or did i just ramble?

Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi ryan constantine, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > xref like autocad and 3ds max have.  it doesn't already have this does
> > it?
> Maybe you could explain what it does? I'm not proficient in AutoCAD or
> 3DS Max.
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 17 May 2000 04:10:42
Message: <6uk4is0kuvtekbk04c5c8ur9rht9m4fsff@4ax.com>
Hi ryan constantine, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> is that clear or did i just ramble?
Clear. Sort of like reference objects, but on a file basis. Sounds
messy, though. I'll have to put it on the list.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: ryan constantine
Date: 22 May 2000 18:48:59
Message: <3929BA2C.AD6240DA@yahoo.com>
on a similar note, it would be cool if a 'merged' object were treated as
a udo.  for example, separate include file, but good wireframe to work
with in the modeler.  the main reason is that when i combine my model
parts into the big model i am working on, a new file which contains all
objects is created, which essentially doubles the amount of hard drive
space the model uses.  this could likewise be incorporated into the xref
ability as well.  an alternative would be to add 'export as udo' to the
file list.

today is my last day of finals for the semester.  i should be able to
finish my xwing model in the next week or two, and then i will be
brushing up on my c++ so that i can write that texture converter.  wish
me luck.  i'll keep you posted.

Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi ryan constantine, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > is that clear or did i just ramble?
> Clear. Sort of like reference objects, but on a file basis. Sounds
> messy, though. I'll have to put it on the list.
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Date: 22 May 2000 23:27:35
Message: <7hujiss3tm8rsnasm4qrq6a94kchlmug7d@4ax.com>
On Mon, 22 May 2000 15:52:28 -0700 ryan constantine
<rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>i should be able to
>finish my xwing model in the next week or two...

  Would you possibly consider sharing the .mdl with us? I always prefer
a nice CSG model rather than a bunch of triangles.

From: ryan constantine
Date: 23 May 2000 03:59:29
Message: <392A3B35.22CDE7DB@yahoo.com>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2000 15:52:28 -0700 ryan constantine
> <rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
> >i should be able to
> >finish my xwing model in the next week or two...
>
>   Would you possibly consider sharing the .mdl with us? I always prefer
> a nice CSG model rather than a bunch of triangles.

in other posts, i've mentioned that i will.  once it is done, i'll have
to do some house cleaning so you folks will know what the heck i did and
how to animate it.  unfortunately, the fuselage is a mesh made in spatch
and then converted.  everything else is csg.  expect near-finished pics
soon.  the mdl will come when it's done.

> --
> Alan - ako### [at] povrayorg - a k o n g <at> p o v r a y <dot> o r g
> http://www.povray.org - Home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer

Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Date: 23 May 2000 08:06:50
Message: <g0tkiscju5m8k4kbtl4olrjn24o5s0nlqj@4ax.com>
On Tue, 23 May 2000 01:03:01 -0700 ryan constantine
<rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>>   Would you possibly consider sharing the .mdl with us? I always prefer
>> a nice CSG model rather than a bunch of triangles.
>
>in other posts, i've mentioned that i will.

  Thanks, Ryan.