POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : 3ds thru moray to POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:35 EDT (-0400)
  3ds thru moray to POV (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: michael mccue
Subject: 3ds thru moray to POV
Date: 10 Dec 1999 10:07:47
Message: <38511743@news.povray.org>
Hi,
 I am just learning about UDO files and such and have very little experience
with POV scripts. I have worked thru most of the Moray tutorials and for
variety I have downloaded some 3D models from various sites to play with.
The .mdl files from the moray site work great but I have been unable to
render the 3ds files I have imported thru the 3dwin conversion tool. I have
been using the moray/povray 3 choice for conversion. I have been trying to
keep the file names different and am sure that I am not overwriting the .inc
file.
 I think my problem is simpler and perhaps related to POVray script editing
more than moray but I hope someone here can help.

eg:

I have a 10 speed bicycle 3ds file which I import with 3dwin convertor. I
set the lights camera etc. I try a render and find that the materials are
not properly assigned. When I have assigned a material to all the objects
that came with the UDO I try a "test scene". If the test scene says
everything has a material then I retry the render.

 This is where I get stopped cold can someone please ponit me in the right
direction?

POVray appears to begin parsing then it stops and the last message reads:

#declare Bicycle_Bicycle_Smoot15_Ref = object   {
   Bicycle_Bicycle_Smoot15    <------- ERROR

10speed.pov:125:  error: object expected but undeclared identifier
'Bicycle_Bicycle_Smott15' found instead.

Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)

I have looked in the 10speed.pov and seen that the declared objects have a
Ref or _Ref suffix that is not present in the scene which the UDO had been
imported into and which the .pov had been exported from.

I wonder if I need to go in an edit the POV file now that it is exported
from moray?
thanks,
mike

Post a reply to this message

Yep, you do. For some reason, Moray sometimes adds an extra letter to the
name of the object in the reference (the one inside the brackets) What you
need to do is open both the scene (pov) file, and the include file from the
UDO, and check that the names referenced are the same as the ones defined in
the include.I'm not quite sure what is causing the problem, or if there is a
simpler solution. Lutz, anyone, have an idea?

Krystian
www.geocities.com/kgbates (In dire need of updating)

"michael mccue" <mik### [at] harmoniccyclecom> wrote in message
> Hi,
>  I am just learning about UDO files and such and have very little
experience
> with POV scripts. I have worked thru most of the Moray tutorials and for
> variety I have downloaded some 3D models from various sites to play with.
> The .mdl files from the moray site work great but I have been unable to
> render the 3ds files I have imported thru the 3dwin conversion tool. I
have
> been using the moray/povray 3 choice for conversion. I have been trying to
> keep the file names different and am sure that I am not overwriting the
.inc
> file.
>  I think my problem is simpler and perhaps related to POVray script
editing
> more than moray but I hope someone here can help.
>
> eg:
>
> I have a 10 speed bicycle 3ds file which I import with 3dwin convertor. I
> set the lights camera etc. I try a render and find that the materials are
> not properly assigned. When I have assigned a material to all the objects
> that came with the UDO I try a "test scene". If the test scene says
> everything has a material then I retry the render.
>
>  This is where I get stopped cold can someone please ponit me in the right
> direction?
>
> POVray appears to begin parsing then it stops and the last message reads:
>
> #declare Bicycle_Bicycle_Smoot15_Ref = object   {
>    Bicycle_Bicycle_Smoot15    <------- ERROR
>
> 10speed.pov:125:  error: object expected but undeclared identifier
> 'Bicycle_Bicycle_Smott15' found instead.
>
> Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)
>

> I have looked in the 10speed.pov and seen that the declared objects have a
> Ref or _Ref suffix that is not present in the scene which the UDO had been
> imported into and which the .pov had been exported from.
>
> I wonder if I need to go in an edit the POV file now that it is exported
> from moray?
> thanks,
> mike

Post a reply to this message