POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : 3ds thru moray to POV : 3ds thru moray to POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  3ds thru moray to POV
From: michael mccue
Date: 10 Dec 1999 10:07:47
Message: <38511743@news.povray.org>
Hi,
 I am just learning about UDO files and such and have very little experience
with POV scripts. I have worked thru most of the Moray tutorials and for
variety I have downloaded some 3D models from various sites to play with.
The .mdl files from the moray site work great but I have been unable to
render the 3ds files I have imported thru the 3dwin conversion tool. I have
been using the moray/povray 3 choice for conversion. I have been trying to
keep the file names different and am sure that I am not overwriting the .inc
file.
 I think my problem is simpler and perhaps related to POVray script editing
more than moray but I hope someone here can help.

eg:

I have a 10 speed bicycle 3ds file which I import with 3dwin convertor. I
set the lights camera etc. I try a render and find that the materials are
not properly assigned. When I have assigned a material to all the objects
that came with the UDO I try a "test scene". If the test scene says
everything has a material then I retry the render.

 This is where I get stopped cold can someone please ponit me in the right
direction?

POVray appears to begin parsing then it stops and the last message reads:

#declare Bicycle_Bicycle_Smoot15_Ref = object   {
   Bicycle_Bicycle_Smoot15    <------- ERROR

10speed.pov:125:  error: object expected but undeclared identifier
'Bicycle_Bicycle_Smott15' found instead.

Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)

I have looked in the 10speed.pov and seen that the declared objects have a
Ref or _Ref suffix that is not present in the scene which the UDO had been
imported into and which the .pov had been exported from.

I wonder if I need to go in an edit the POV file now that it is exported
from moray?
thanks,
mike