POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : An easy way to import textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  An easy way to import textures (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: An easy way to import textures - Alabaster.mtx (0/1)
Date: 10 Aug 1999 03:44:25
Message: <37aecf50.75576@news.stmuc.com>
Hi Elminster, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Here is one the one that was driveing me to going bald ;)
OK, here is the MTX that contains it. It seemed pretty simple, but
then I wrote the program<g>. It would help me if you could describe
what presented you with the biggest problem.

Note that the second layer is a bit strange in that it defines both
phong and specular in the finish.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: An easy way to import textures - Alabaster.mtx (1/1)
Date: 10 Aug 1999 03:44:28
Message: <37afd889.875365@news.stmuc.com>

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Alabaster.mtx.dat' (2 KB)

From: Elminster
Date: 10 Aug 1999 06:59:45
Message: <8E1E4727Celminstrmrtccom@news.stmuc.com>
lut### [at] stmuccom (Lutz Kretzschmar) wrote in <37a### [at] newsstmuccom>:

>Hi Elminster, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
>> Here is one the one that was driveing me to going bald ;)
>OK, here is the MTX that contains it. It seemed pretty simple, but
>then I wrote the program<g>. It would help me if you could describe
>what presented you with the biggest problem.
>
>Note that the second layer is a bit strange in that it defines both
>phong and specular in the finish.
>
>- Lutz
>  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Lutz,

   I couldn't get it to take both pigments.  I just may not understand the
order in which to enter the data in the Material editor, but I couldn't get
the source window to look like the .inc code.  I guess it's time to RTFM ;)

Bob Ratliff
elm### [at] mrtccom

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 10 Aug 1999 10:39:36
Message: <37b03975.1145938@news.stmuc.com>
Hi Elminster, you recently wrote in moray.win:

>    I couldn't get it to take both pigments.
You need to add two textures to a layered texture (check the Material
Editor with that sample.

> but I couldn't get the source window to look like the .inc code.
Oh, you often won't since there are numerous ways of writing the same
code in POV-Ray.

> I guess it's time to RTFM ;)
I guess that might help<g>.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: T'vakah
Subject: Re: An easy way to import textures
Date: 10 Aug 1999 18:09:51
Message: <37b0a32f@news.povray.org>
> > One feature that I find lacking in Moray, is the ability to layer
pigmenst
> > and normals, for some reason you are only allowed one of each.
> Since you can't do that in POV-Ray either, what would be the point?
> Unless you are talking about layering textures, then you are mistaken,
> since Moray has supported this since V2.5 for DOS. In the Material
> Editor, use Create and selecte 'Layered Texture'. Then add as many
> texture layrers as you need.
POV-Ray does support this, I am talking about multiple pigment statments in
the same texture and the same with normals like the following:

texture{
    pigment{some pigment}
    pigment{another pigment that is slightly transparent}
    normal{some normal}
    normal{another normal that is added to the first}
}

the advantage of this is that it cuts down on the parsing and rendering time
as compared to a layerd texture.

-- T'vakah

A small project I am working on know:
http://backdoor.to/edertav/

Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 11 Aug 1999 23:49:44
Message: <37B243FA.3A7F7F04@Kopp.com>
T'vakah wrote:

> texture{
>     pigment{some pigment}
>     pigment{another pigment that is slightly transparent}
>     normal{some normal}
>     normal{another normal that is added to the first}
> }

If I understand correctly, POV simply overwrites the first pigment
with the second pigment.  Same goes for normals.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

From: T'vakah
Date: 12 Aug 1999 10:24:33
Message: <37b2d921@news.povray.org>
I recently experimented with this idea, and proved myself wrong.  While you
can layer pigments like textures, this then takes longer to render, and
gives very different results than a layerd texture.  But with normals, the
last one listed is the one that is used, like Nathan said.
--
T'vakah

A small project I am working on now:
http://backdoor.to/edertav/

Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Date: 13 Aug 1999 03:08:11
Message: <37b4c0e9.84278722@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:45:12 GMT, lut### [at] stmuccom (Lutz Kretzschmar) wrote:

>Note that the second layer is a bit strange in that it defines both
>phong and specular in the finish.

  I've seen this in other textures before, Lutz. It's how some people choose
to show a pronounced highlight within a highlight.

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get

From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 13 Aug 1999 05:44:42
Message: <37B3E8D1.73124E7F@skynet.be>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:45:12 GMT, lut### [at] stmuccom (Lutz Kretzschmar) wrote:
>
> >Note that the second layer is a bit strange in that it defines both
> >phong and specular in the finish.
>
>   I've seen this in other textures before, Lutz. It's how some people choose
> to show a pronounced highlight within a highlight.

If you want a veeery nice varnished wood, using both specular and phong
is the way to go; the result is much more realistic, you get the
softness
of the specular, and the crisp of the phong.

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Date: 13 Aug 1999 21:53:33
Message: <37b4c9fd.152148198@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:43:45 +0200, Fabien Mosen <fab### [at] skynetbe>
wrote:

>If you want a veeery nice varnished wood, using both specular and phong
>is the way to go; the result is much more realistic, you get the
>softness of the specular, and the crisp of the phong.

  Thanks, Fabien! Another tip from a pro...