POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Grass, yet again - Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Grass, yet again - (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Dan
Subject: Grass, yet again -
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:47:23
Message: <3766E71F.348C03A8@earthlink.net>
Hello,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but a search through this
newsgroup has not unearthed it...

Anyway, I would like to use Chris Colefax's hair macro with Moray to
produce a nice grassy field.  However, every attempt I've made has
failed.  Could anyone kindly explain how I can get Moray and the hair
macro to talk to each other?

My ultimate dream is to create a small heightfield, grass it up, and
then let PR render it.  I would be very appreciative if someone could
give as specific an example as possible...

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Post a reply to this message

Hmm, if you have any sort of programming skills, you could make a plugin.
Otherwise, you should probably just model the rest of your scene in Moray,
then export it to POV-Ray, where you then grass up the heightfield using
the include file(or whatever it is).

If you do choose the former, I think that everyone here would appreaciate
it greatly!

PS- I don't think this has been covered on the newgroup.

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You watch the Making of Mist video to see what modeler they use

Post a reply to this message

> Hmm, if you have any sort of programming skills, you could make a plugin.
> Otherwise, you should probably just model the rest of your scene in Moray,
> then export it to POV-Ray, where you then grass up the heightfield using
> the include file(or whatever it is).
>
> If you do choose the former, I think that everyone here would appreaciate
> it greatly!
>
> PS- I don't think this has been covered on the newgroup.
>
> Dan wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but a search through this
> > newsgroup has not unearthed it...
> >
> > Anyway, I would like to use Chris Colefax's hair macro with Moray to
> > produce a nice grassy field.  However, every attempt I've made has
> > failed.  Could anyone kindly explain how I can get Moray and the hair
> > macro to talk to each other?
> >
> > My ultimate dream is to create a small heightfield, grass it up, and
> > then let PR render it.  I would be very appreciative if someone could
> > give as specific an example as possible...
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Dan
>
> --
> You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
>  You watch the Making of Mist video to see what modeler they use

Well,

Chris Colefax has once again jumped into the breach.  He showed me how to do
it, and it's actually very easy and very effective.  You just need his hair
macro, the mesh compression macro, and the ability to have Moray export .raw
files...

Dan

PS Thanks, Chris!

Post a reply to this message

How does that work? The compressed mesh and hair files don't deal with .raw...do
they? If so, where can I get them? Do they export to non-POV formats?

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You start playing "Guess The Rendering App" during raytraced scenes in movies,

Post a reply to this message