POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Randomization! Please! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:52 EDT (-0400)
  Randomization! Please! (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Simon de Vet
Subject: Randomization! Please!
Date: 7 Apr 1999 22:00:11
Message: <370BFF9B.3B42A61@istar.ca>
I'd love to see a new feature for Moray, probably in the duplication
feild.

Let's say I want to make a row of icicles off the edge of a roof. I have
my icicle object, and I copy it 10 times, with a x translation of 5
units.

But this just looks silly. No icicles are this neat. It would be nice to
translate them all 5 units, +/- 2 units, to get clumps, and gaps. Also,
scaling them at 1x, +/- 0.5 ould provide a nice variation in lengths.

As is, this can be done manually, which is fine for 10 icicles. But if I
wanted to make 100 icicles, then things become ackward.

Perhaps a plugin, to emulat the duplicate feature could be used, but I
don;t know how hard it would be...

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

Post a reply to this message

Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote:
: As is, this can be done manually, which is fine for 10 icicles. But if I
: wanted to make 100 icicles, then things become ackward.

  Why? You can put 100000 objects exactly as easyly as 10 objects.
  See the help about #while.

I think what he is asking for(and I have already asked for), is a way to
introduce a random element to the scaling, translation and rotation of
duplicated objects.

--
Only I can prevent narcissism!

Post a reply to this message

Which is exactly what #while can do for you in a very small amount
 of code.

Alex Magidow wrote:

> I think what he is asking for(and I have already asked for), is a way to
> introduce a random element to the scaling, translation and rotation of
> duplicated objects.
>
> Nieminen Mika wrote:
>
> > Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote:
> > : As is, this can be done manually, which is fine for 10 icicles. But if I
> > : wanted to make 100 icicles, then things become ackward.
> >
> >   Why? You can put 100000 objects exactly as easyly as 10 objects.
> >   See the help about #while.
> >
> > --
> > main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
>
> --
> Only I can prevent narcissism!

--
Ken Tyler