POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Bump_map? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Bump_map? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Alex Magidow
Subject: Bump_map?
Date: 4 Sep 1998 20:48:11
Message: <35F07CBD.5C088E73@mninter.net>
I have found many features missing from moray, but most notably, there
is no bump_map option. I am wondering-how could I get that to work(I am
POV-code illeterate.)well? Could I learn how to POV-code, then write an
.mtx or something.

Well, thanks in advance for responding.

P.S.- Despite a few missing features, your doing a bang up job,
Lutz-best, and most compatible, primitives modeler on the
market!(probably least expensive, too.)

--
"Intensification of food production to feed an increased
population only results in a further increase of population."

"It may be that my progeny[humans] will
teem over the earth like locusts,
stripping it bare,until they drown
in their own filth and hate the very
sight of one another and go
mad. Still they must go on,
because to grow without limit is
good and to accept the limits of the
law is evil." Ch.9-6 Ishmael, By Daniel Quinn.

Post a reply to this message

Well, isn't my face red. Moray does have bump maps. They just don't work as
I thought they would. I created a bumpmap in leveller that has a tiretread
sort of thing(one tread). Then I applied it to a torus, but all that
happens is that the torus has a lot of tiles of different shade. If you
want, I can send you the whole mess via e-mail.
Any help would be apprecited.

Thanks in advance...

Alex Magidow wrote:

> I have found many features missing from moray, but most notably, there
> is no bump_map option. I am wondering-how could I get that to work(I am
> POV-code illeterate.)well? Could I learn how to POV-code, then write an
> .mtx or something.
>
> Well, thanks in advance for responding.
>
> P.S.- Despite a few missing features, your doing a bang up job,
> Lutz-best, and most compatible, primitives modeler on the
> market!(probably least expensive, too.)
>
> --
> "Intensification of food production to feed an increased
> population only results in a further increase of population."
> -Peter Farb
>
> "It may be that my progeny[humans] will
> teem over the earth like locusts,
> stripping it bare,until they drown
> in their own filth and hate the very
> sight of one another and go
> mad. Still they must go on,
> because to grow without limit is
> good and to accept the limits of the
> law is evil." Ch.9-6 Ishmael, By Daniel Quinn.

--
"Intensification of food production to feed an increased
population only results in a further increase of population."
-Peter Farb

"It may be that my progeny[humans] will
teem over the earth like locusts,
stripping it bare,until they drown
in their own filth and hate the very
sight of one another and go
mad. Still they must go on,
because to grow without limit is
good and to accept the limits of the
law is evil." Ch.9-6 Ishmael, By Daniel Quinn.

Post a reply to this message

> Well, isn't my face red. Moray does have bump maps. They just don't work as
> I thought they would. I created a bumpmap in leveller that has a tiretread
> sort of thing(one tread). Then I applied it to a torus, but all that
> happens is that the torus has a lot of tiles of different shade. If you
> want, I can send you the whole mess via e-mail.
> Any help would be apprecited.
>
> Thanks in advance...

Well, fromt he sound of it, there are a number of possibilities. First, the
tiles could be caused by pixelation: ie: your bump image is too low res. Or, it
could be using a bad mapping. For a torus, acting as a tire, I think a simple
cylindrical projection is best...

Dunno if this helps...

(BTW, your sig's are longer than your message... not a good idea, in general)

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

Post a reply to this message