POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC POV-Ray Bonus? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:54:38 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC POV-Ray Bonus? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Renderdog
Subject: IRTC POV-Ray Bonus?
Date: 25 Feb 2005 20:15:01
Message: <web.421fcc45a573fc43538b7d3c0@news.povray.org>
Just before POVComp was announced I had an idea to award a POV-Ray bonus to
encourage more people to enter the IRTC Stills competition. I shelved the
idea, but now I'd like to carry it forward, beginning with the upcoming
March-April competition. Before I make any official announcement I thought
I'd post here to judge the interest, response, and possible objections.

Basically I could award $100 to one POV-Ray image in each round of the
Stills competition. To motivate artists to donate their POV-Ray source,
only entries that include their POV-Ray source code would be eligible. The
bonus would be awarded one month after the entry deadline (May 31 for the
upcoming March-April round).

What do you think?

Post a reply to this message

I should mention this would not be associated with the IRTC, though I did
consult with them about the idea.

Post a reply to this message

> Just before POVComp was announced I had an idea to award a POV-Ray bonus to
> encourage more people to enter the IRTC Stills competition. I shelved the
> idea, but now I'd like to carry it forward, beginning with the upcoming
> March-April competition. Before I make any official announcement I thought
> I'd post here to judge the interest, response, and possible objections.
>
> Basically I could award $100 to one POV-Ray image in each round of the
> Stills competition. To motivate artists to donate their POV-Ray source,
> only entries that include their POV-Ray source code would be eligible. The
> bonus would be awarded one month after the entry deadline (May 31 for the
> upcoming March-April round).
>
> What do you think?

Initial response: Very positive.

I think it's a wonderful and very encouraging gesture.

I also am chagrined at the falloff in source posting.  Yet a lot of us
do use mesh routinely now and posting it does use up a lot of space
while offering no beneficial information.  So a clear protocal for
addressing that problem would be the first order of business imo.

I assume you mean to award this completely at your own discretion.  That
would seem to be best.

Maybe I'll have more thoughts on it later.  To be honest with you, Mark,
  I've about had my fill of weighty thinking for today. ;)

Post a reply to this message