POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC POV-Ray Bonus? : Re: IRTC POV-Ray Bonus? Server Time
2 May 2024 11:09:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC POV-Ray Bonus?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 27 Feb 2005 18:13:51
Message: <4222542f$1@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:
> Thanks for your input, Jim. I'd like to make the bonus as
> inclusive as possible. My main goal is to encourage people
> to use POV-Ray and share their work, not make the event
> more competitive or limit artistic creativity.
>
> Here's my first pass on judging criteria:
>
> 1) Source code must be submitted with the entry to the IRTC
> (not including huge meshes, copyrighted models, etc)
>
> 2) A tutorial or "Making of" on the web is encouraged
> (begun before the bonus award, maybe at the new POV-Ray Wiki)
>
> 3) New, innovative and/or useful macros will score well
>
> 4) Well-commented POV-Ray code is a plus
>
> 5) The image does not have to score highly in the IRTC judging
>
> 6) MegaPOV code and external modelers are okay
>
> 7) Use of other's code and models will not be penalized
> (The very reason I want people to share their work)
>
> 8)  In the event of a tie, two $100 bonuses will be awarded
> (I'm sure three-way ties will be very rare :-)
>
> How's that look?

That looks great to me.  I think the formalizing of code posting should
indeed lead to more code posted.  I don't think that the reluctance to
post code has necessarily to do with people being secretive or
ungenerous.  I  expect it is more a matter of shyness and
self-consciousness in many cases.  And it really is part of the fun.  I
sometimes think some of H. E. Day's code should be framed as art in
itself, just for its sheer over-the-top, manic qualities.