POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : rules violations in 'architecture' round Server Time
17 May 2024 03:36:03 EDT (-0400)
  rules violations in 'architecture' round (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: rules violations in 'architecture' round
Date: 1 May 2003 15:51:13
Message: <3EB17AB1.9E60C44F@gmx.de>
Browsed through the images of this round for the first time - a lot of
very interesting images but i think there are a few possible rule
violations:

* home.jpg - 3 images put together in an imaging program, it is clearly
mentioned in the text file, probably the author was just not aware of the
rules.

* 3dcomwat.jpg - I am not sure about this.  It's an impressive picture,
the text says:

IMAGE DESCRIPTION:

Depiction of part of the redevelopment of Brewery Wharf, Leeds.

DESCRIPTION OF HOW THIS IMAGE WAS CREATED:

The scene was modelled in autocad, the materials and lighting achieved in
3dviz,
and the people, foliage and finishing touches completed in photoshop 6.

Which leaves it unclear if it is created specifically for the IRTC and it
seems to indicate that it is post processed in photoshop.

* m_fairyt.jpg and jg_w3way.jpg - resized from larger renders according to
the text file.  The latter elaborates on the problem and states this is
not a violation of the rules referring to a discussion in the IRTC mailing
list.  I have not followed the mailing list closely recently but this
quite clearly is not right.

Resizing an image, no matter if a trivial resize (leaving out certain
pixels) or a more sophisticated one (filtering before and/or
interpolation) is a violation of the current rules.  There are only three
exceptions from the post processing disallowance:

i.You may convert images to JPEG format.
ii.You may add text information (name, title, email address, copyright
etc...) to your image.
iii.You may gamma-correct and contrast/brightness adjust the image.

Everyone may of course think about this making sense or not as he/she
wants to and the IRTC admins could change this but the rules are clear as
they are right now.

In my personal opinion the current rules are good since they draw a clear
line (only allowing modifications working on the individual pixels of the
image like brightness/contrast/gamma adjustments).  Allowing resizing but
disallowing convolution matrix filters (sharpen/soften, etc.) would
technically not make sense.

Christoph