POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : rules violations in 'architecture' round : Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round
From: Tek
Date: 1 May 2003 18:46:58
Message: <3eb1a3e2$1@news.povray.org>
Well resizing only enhances the image if it was originally rendered at some much
higher resolution, which is something most of us avoid doing because the render
times go up so much. I see your point, but I guess what I'm saying is that a
renderer should be able to anti-alias to a reasonable level of quality, and that
the rendering overhead incurred in that is comparable to the render time needed
to do the higher res image. Obviously some renderers don't give you much control
over the anti-aliasing settings, so people like to do this post process.

I guess it's different from something like blur or lens flare, because multi
sampling an image is a very simple process that has clearly defined mathmatical
rules about how it should be done, but blur is a much more subjective artistic
thing. Any part of the image which represents creative input from the artist
should be done in the renderer, post processing should consist entirely of
adjusting the resulting image to be suitable for viewing in the irtc (hence
allowing brightness and contrast correction).

Obviously it's a fuzzy line, e.g. personally I never adjust brightness or
contrast, I don't see why I'd make a render that had that wrong in the first
place. But I don't see that resizing an image substantially alters how good it
is. I tend to judge people on their efforts, not the flaws in their renderer's
anti-aliasing.

Still, you have a point.

--
Tek