POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Frame size creates difficulty for viewers Server Time
16 May 2024 04:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Frame size creates difficulty for viewers (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Frame size creates difficulty for viewers
Date: 20 Jul 2000 15:03:04
Message: <39774BBC.5678B6A7@my-dejanews.com>
The IRTC rules state:
"The only limit on the animation is the file size, which must be five
megabytes (5,242,880 bytes)or less. We do suggest prudence when
selecting frame size, and recommend 320x240. "

I would recommend that in the future we make the 320 x 240 a
requirement.  The reason being that the default Microsoft media player
is incapable of seeing three entries in this round that violate this
suggestion.

I did download HyperMeg Player v0.1. It is a freeware package that
played these videos nicely. I got it from ZDNet at:

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0008T0,.html

I would recommend that either the IRTC either:
    a) make the 320 x 240 a requirement, or
    b) widely publicize the name of one or two freeware players that
have been
        demonstrated to work with these other video formats.

Post a reply to this message

> I would recommend that in the future we make the 320 x 240 a
> requirement.  The reason being that the default Microsoft media player
> is incapable of seeing three entries in this round that violate this
> suggestion.
>
> I did download HyperMeg Player v0.1. It is a freeware package that
> played these videos nicely. I got it from ZDNet at:

So... even though you were able to get a free player that played
the videos "nicely", you still think there should be some limit
to accommodate M$?

> ... have been demonstrated to work with these other video formats.

These are not "other video formats".  These are fully 100% MPEG-1 compliant.

dik

Post a reply to this message

> "The only limit on the animation is the file size, which must be five
> megabytes (5,242,880 bytes)or less. We do suggest prudence when
> selecting frame size, and recommend 320x240. "
>
> I would recommend that in the future we make the 320 x 240 a
> requirement.  The reason being that the default Microsoft media player
> is incapable of seeing three entries in this round that violate this
> suggestion.

I had this problem a few rounds back.  I solved it by downloading the
latest version of MS media player.  Right now I'm running version
6.01.05.0217, and it plays wellcome.mpg just fine.

Anyway, sizes other than 320x240 are perfectly within the MPEG-1
standard; if your player cannot display them, the player is not
100% MPEG-1 compliant and should be replaced.

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:58:04 -0400, "Greg M. Johnson"
<gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:

>I would recommend that in the future we make the 320 x 240 a
>requirement.  The reason being that the default Microsoft media player
>is incapable of seeing three entries in this round that violate this
>suggestion.

I only have a black-and-white TV set at home (really). Does this mean
they should ban color TV? And yes, as far as *I* am concerned, I am
the majority :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> > I would recommend that in the future we make the 320 x 240 a
> > requirement.  The reason being that the default Microsoft media player
> > is incapable of seeing three entries in this round that violate this
> > suggestion.
> >
> > I did download HyperMeg Player v0.1. It is a freeware package that
> > played these videos nicely. I got it from ZDNet at:
>
> So... even though you were able to get a free player that played
> the videos "nicely", you still think there should be some limit
> to accommodate M$?

I'm the first to jump on the opposite side of M$ in a fight over a standard. M$
often adds "functionality" of dubious value to a product which creates great
inconveniences for everyone not using the M$ system.  M$-Java and M$ Front End
are but two examples.  If M$ had its way, I'm sure there would be an MPEG-M$
standard whose only benefit is that one gets to see the M$ logo each time before
the video starts.

Peter writes:
> I only have a black-and-white TV set at home (really). Does this
> mean they should ban color TV? And yes, as far as *I* am
> concerned, I am the majority :)

In any controversy, the advocate of the bleeding edge software is wrong. The
question is, which is the 'bleeding edge', the viewer incapable of meeting the
'modern' standard or the animation that requires people to go out and get a new
viewer?

Given John's restatement of the MPEG requirements, I suppose there is a little
more weight to the idea that the video player incapable of unusual frame sizes
is the bleeding edge.

Here are more links to vide players:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/download/default.asp

http://computingcentral.msn.com/Topics/Multimedia/DBDetails.asp?DownloadID=47412

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0008T0,.html

> > ... have been demonstrated to work with these other video formats.
>
> These are not "other video formats".  These are fully 100% MPEG-1 compliant.
>
> dik

Post a reply to this message

> I only have a black-and-white TV set at home (really). Does this mean
> they should ban color TV? And yes, as far as *I* am concerned, I am
> the majority :)

Which channels are you unable to see?  ;-)

Post a reply to this message