POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : [Lighting Help] : Re: [Lighting Help] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Lighting Help]
From: Brendan Hurley
Date: 8 Aug 1999 19:34:46
Message: <37AE14A3.B1F08B12@saber.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Why would you have to rewrite all your scenes?...< for a newer version of
> POV >

I made a false assumption that old scripts might not work in newer version POV.
Switching from POV 1.0 to 3.0 involved a 1-2 month detour in my work.  I had
just started designing object { Our_House } in POV 1.0.  Naturally I was amazed
with the new features of 3.0, such as area_lights, so I wanted to use them.  The
rewriting wasn't really that hard but it was incredibily time-consuming.  My
statement above was just an expression of reluctance to take another coding
detour.

 { Our_House } is nearing completion; I want to upgrade to the newest POV
version and start a new project at the same time.  The other issue is I'm also
upgrading to a Pentium motherboard and Win95 right now.  Too many transitions at
one time is to be approached with caution.

In the few days since I posted this Help! message I have tried out some of the
suggestions and they are working.  I have cylinder lights above the front door;
they cast cones of illumination down the walls and on the ground. The scene is
coming along!
Thanks to all of you again!

Not every change in the lighting code is a positive one, but the scene looks a
lot more like the image in my mind. I upped ambient, defuse; I added Atmosphere2
and tweaked the variables a little.  When I'm done (next week? two weeks?) I'll
post an image to the scenes board and the scripts here and on my web site.

Blessings,
    Brendan

--
Michael Brendan Hurley           ShadowDancerEnterprizes, LTD.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4969/index.html

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)