POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : PoV 3.6 throwing unhandled exception ... Server Time
5 May 2024 12:52:11 EDT (-0400)
  PoV 3.6 throwing unhandled exception ... (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Mike Andrews
Subject: PoV 3.6 throwing unhandled exception ...
Date: 15 Aug 2006 09:40:00
Message: <web.44e1cdcbf6d3c396c717c9af0@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks,

Can someone please give me a sanity check?

I have a simple (section of a) scene which either stops with an out of
memory error while building slabs or throws an unhandled exception
depending on minor variations.

I can not see what the problem is.

System: 933MHz PIII, Win XP Pro SP2, 512Mb.

Thanks for any ideas,

Mike Andrews.

// --- code starts ---

#declare camPos = 5*<-0.1,6,-5>;

camera{
  ultra_wide_angle
  up y
  right x*image_width/image_height
  location camPos
  look_at  0
  angle 50
}

#declare Phi=(sqrt(5)+1)/2;
#declare rPhi=2-Phi;

#declare Cen = (Phi-1)/(2*Phi-1);

#declare Ill = box {
  <0.1,-rPhi-0.1,-0.01>,<0.9,-0.1,0.01>
  translate <-Cen,0,-Phi*(1-Cen)>
}

#declare Scl = 1;
#declare Rot = 0;
union {
  #declare C = 0; #while (C < 10)
    object { Ill scale Scl rotate -Rot*y }
    #debug concat("object ", str(C,0,0),"n")
    #declare Scl = Scl/Phi;
    #declare Rot = Rot+90;
  #declare C = C + 1; #end
  translate <Cen,0,Phi*(1-Cen)>-<0.5,0,Phi/2>
  //rotate 90*y
  //scale 20
  pigment { rgb 1 }
  finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 }
}

// --- code ends ---

Post a reply to this message

> Can someone please give me a sanity check?
>
> I have a simple (section of a) scene which either stops with an out of
> memory error while building slabs or throws an unhandled exception
> depending on minor variations.

Could you please define what you mean by "throws an unhandled exception"?
What message are you getting specifically?

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > Can someone please give me a sanity check?
> >
> > I have a simple (section of a) scene which either stops with an out of
> > memory error while building slabs or throws an unhandled exception
> > depending on minor variations.
>
> Could you please define what you mean by "throws an unhandled exception"?
> What message are you getting specifically?
>
>  Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

With the official v3.6.1c.icl8.win32 the scene parses, there is a line in
the message window which says 'Reallocating finite to 30', the render
window appears and then a box pops up which says:

'The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception.

The backend thread has been shut down and you will not be able to perform
any further renders.

It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you save your work and exit POV-Ray now.

(Note that if internal structures have been damaged POV-Ray may crash
immediately after you click OK).'

And when I click OK POV-Ray is unresponsive and I have to force it to close.

Hope this helps,

Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message

Mike Andrews nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 15/08/2006 09:36:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can someone please give me a sanity check?
>
> I have a simple (section of a) scene which either stops with an out of
> memory error while building slabs or throws an unhandled exception
> depending on minor variations.
>
> I can not see what the problem is.
>
> System: 933MHz PIII, Win XP Pro SP2, 512Mb.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Mike Andrews.
>
> // --- code starts ---
>
> #declare camPos = 5*<-0.1,6,-5>;
>
> camera{
>   ultra_wide_angle
>   up y
>   right x*image_width/image_height
>   location camPos
>   look_at  0
>   angle 50
> }
>
> #declare Phi=(sqrt(5)+1)/2;
> #declare rPhi=2-Phi;
>
> #declare Cen = (Phi-1)/(2*Phi-1);
>
> #declare Ill = box {
>   <0.1,-rPhi-0.1,-0.01>,<0.9,-0.1,0.01>
>   translate <-Cen,0,-Phi*(1-Cen)>
> }
>
> #declare Scl = 1;
> #declare Rot = 0;
> union {
>   #declare C = 0; #while (C < 10)
>     object { Ill scale Scl rotate -Rot*y }
>     #debug concat("object ", str(C,0,0),"n")
>     #declare Scl = Scl/Phi;
>     #declare Rot = Rot+90;
>   #declare C = C + 1; #end
>   translate <Cen,0,Phi*(1-Cen)>-<0.5,0,Phi/2>
>   //rotate 90*y
>   //scale 20
>   pigment { rgb 1 }
>   finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 }
> }
>
> // --- code ends ---

Worked for me as is. Same crash as you after changing to (c<11)
And now, my animation is broken again! Animation was working OK before that
test, run the test, can't do an animation any longer.

--
Alain
"If you see me running, try to keep up."

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Andrews
Date: 20 Aug 2006 18:10:01
Message: <web.44e8dd49574290da4c3eae080@news.povray.org>
Hi Alain,

Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Worked for me as is. Same crash as you after changing to (c<11)
> And now, my animation is broken again! Animation was working OK before that
> test, run the test, can't do an animation any longer.

Thanks for checking the code. Sorry about the animation ...

The failure seems to be somewhat inconsistent, different builds of POV-Ray
fail slightly differently. A personal Cygwin build of Megapov 1.2.1 that I
tried worked fine, the 'official' Win32 Megapov 1.2.1 build produced the
render and then threw an unhandled exception, the official Win32 build of
3.6.1c parsed then immediately threw an unhandled exception.

> --
> Alain
> "If you see me running, try to keep up."
>        ...Back of bomb technician's shirt

Bye for now,

Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 3 Sep 2006 03:54:45
Message: <44fa8a45$1@news.povray.org>
Since the box is very thin in the z direction,
scaling it by a very small number in the z is
creating a near-zero, which passes the scale
by zero check, but still is generating a divide
by zero elsewhere inside the code, probably,
I think, well maybe.  scale <Scl,Scl,1> works
fine though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Andrews
Date: 3 Sep 2006 14:30:01
Message: <web.44fb1e5c574290daf125623f0@news.povray.org>
Hi Tim,

Your suggestion makes sense, I think. Certainly a possibility :-)

It could also explain why different compiles do different things ...

Thanks for the thoughts,

Mike Andrews.