POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Memory crash under Debian Sidux Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:54:02 EDT (-0400)
  Memory crash under Debian Sidux (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Memory crash under Debian Sidux
Date: 30 Apr 2010 02:08:32
Message: <4bda73e0$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Recently, I tried to render a mesh2 generated from an image file 1200 x
1200 pixels large. After reading in all color values (using
eval_pigment()), POV-Ray crashed... as the same thing occurred when I
tried it on my second computer running Windows, I drew the conclusion
that 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is not enough for such a huge mesh. Is there a
way to configure swap memory usage with POV-Ray 3.6 for Linux? Or could
it be that my swap partition (currently 2 gigabytes) is too small?

Smaller meshes like the 800 x 400 ones from my Solar System project
parse and render without problems... seems that I need at least 7
gigabytes... can this be true? I wonder that mesh2 objects are that much
RAM-consuming!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: The Politics Of Dancing (Re-Flex)

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

> Recently, I tried to render a mesh2 generated from an image file 1200 x
> 1200 pixels large. After reading in all color values (using
> eval_pigment()), POV-Ray crashed... as the same thing occurred when I
> tried it on my second computer running Windows, I drew the conclusion
> that 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is not enough for such a huge mesh. Is there a
>  way to configure swap memory usage with POV-Ray 3.6 for Linux? Or could
>  it be that my swap partition (currently 2 gigabytes) is too small?

   IIRC, you can use more than one swap partition... but of course, the only
real solution would be to add more RAM.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

> Recently, I tried to render a mesh2 generated from an image file 1200 x
> 1200 pixels large. After reading in all color values (using
> eval_pigment()), POV-Ray crashed... as the same thing occurred when I
> tried it on my second computer running Windows, I drew the conclusion
> that 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is not enough for such a huge mesh. Is there a
> way to configure swap memory usage with POV-Ray 3.6 for Linux? Or could
> it be that my swap partition (currently 2 gigabytes) is too small?

You do /not/ want to use swap memory for POV-Ray. Never ever.

> Smaller meshes like the 800 x 400 ones from my Solar System project
> parse and render without problems... seems that I need at least 7
> gigabytes... can this be true? I wonder that mesh2 objects are that much
> RAM-consuming!

Q: How's POV-Ray's memory consumption with the 800 x 400 mesh?

I can't imagine the crashes being due to memory overflow. From a rough
guesstimate, a contiguous mesh should not take more than ~200 bytes per
triangle - probably more like ~150 bytes. That should be something
around 250 Mbytes for a 1200 x 1200 mesh.

That is, unless you assign an individual texture to each and every vertex.

There is some possibility that the memory heap gets too fragmented
during mesh parsing, but while I have no idea how likely this is, I
don't expect it to happen in your case.

Maybe you could send me the offending scene and image file, so I could
check with a debugger what's happening.

Post a reply to this message

> You do /not/ want to use swap memory for POV-Ray. Never ever.

   I do that all the time ;)

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe you could send me the offending scene and image file, so I could
> check with a debugger what's happening.

Yes, here it is!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ghurghusht360_n05_040.png' (3431 KB) Download 'us-ascii' (24 KB)

Preview of image 'ghurghusht360_n05_040.png'
ghurghusht360_n05_040.png

> Recently, I tried to render a mesh2 generated from an image file 1200 x
> 1200 pixels large. After reading in all color values (using
> eval_pigment()), POV-Ray crashed... as the same thing occurred when I
> tried it on my second computer running Windows, I drew the conclusion
> that 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is not enough for such a huge mesh. Is there a
> way to configure swap memory usage with POV-Ray 3.6 for Linux? Or could
> it be that my swap partition (currently 2 gigabytes) is too small?
>
> Smaller meshes like the 800 x 400 ones from my Solar System project
> parse and render without problems... seems that I need at least 7
> gigabytes... can this be true? I wonder that mesh2 objects are that much
> RAM-consuming!

Giving the scene a test on Windows, as far as I could see memory
consumption of POV-Ray reached roughly 1.5 GB during parsing (which
should still be ok with 1.5 GB RAM + 2.0 GB swap, at least it shouldn't
cause a crash), then parsing stopped due to an error in the line reading

	  #if(b<(l-2))

because l is undefined.

Post a reply to this message

> Giving the scene a test on Windows, as far as I could see memory
> consumption of POV-Ray reached roughly 1.5 GB during parsing (which
> should still be ok with 1.5 GB RAM + 2.0 GB swap, at least it shouldn't
> cause a crash),

But could it be that with my installation of POV-Ray, usage of swap is
somehow disabled?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message