POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Memory crash under Debian Sidux : Re: Memory crash under Debian Sidux Server Time
9 May 2024 18:35:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory crash under Debian Sidux
From: clipka
Date: 4 May 2010 10:56:21
Message: <4be03595$1@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> Recently, I tried to render a mesh2 generated from an image file 1200 x
> 1200 pixels large. After reading in all color values (using
> eval_pigment()), POV-Ray crashed... as the same thing occurred when I
> tried it on my second computer running Windows, I drew the conclusion
> that 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is not enough for such a huge mesh. Is there a
> way to configure swap memory usage with POV-Ray 3.6 for Linux? Or could
> it be that my swap partition (currently 2 gigabytes) is too small?
>
> Smaller meshes like the 800 x 400 ones from my Solar System project
> parse and render without problems... seems that I need at least 7
> gigabytes... can this be true? I wonder that mesh2 objects are that much
> RAM-consuming!

Giving the scene a test on Windows, as far as I could see memory
consumption of POV-Ray reached roughly 1.5 GB during parsing (which
should still be ok with 1.5 GB RAM + 2.0 GB swap, at least it shouldn't
cause a crash), then parsing stopped due to an error in the line reading

	  #if(b<(l-2))

because l is undefined.