POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Memory crash under Debian Sidux : Re: Memory crash under Debian Sidux Server Time
9 May 2024 18:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory crash under Debian Sidux
From: clipka
Date: 30 Apr 2010 04:31:30
Message: <4bda9562$1@news.povray.org>

> High!
>
> Recently, I tried to render a mesh2 generated from an image file 1200 x
> 1200 pixels large. After reading in all color values (using
> eval_pigment()), POV-Ray crashed... as the same thing occurred when I
> tried it on my second computer running Windows, I drew the conclusion
> that 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is not enough for such a huge mesh. Is there a
> way to configure swap memory usage with POV-Ray 3.6 for Linux? Or could
> it be that my swap partition (currently 2 gigabytes) is too small?

You do /not/ want to use swap memory for POV-Ray. Never ever.

> Smaller meshes like the 800 x 400 ones from my Solar System project
> parse and render without problems... seems that I need at least 7
> gigabytes... can this be true? I wonder that mesh2 objects are that much
> RAM-consuming!

Q: How's POV-Ray's memory consumption with the 800 x 400 mesh?

I can't imagine the crashes being due to memory overflow. From a rough
guesstimate, a contiguous mesh should not take more than ~200 bytes per
triangle - probably more like ~150 bytes. That should be something
around 250 Mbytes for a 1200 x 1200 mesh.

That is, unless you assign an individual texture to each and every vertex.

There is some possibility that the memory heap gets too fragmented
during mesh parsing, but while I have no idea how likely this is, I
don't expect it to happen in your case.

Maybe you could send me the offending scene and image file, so I could
check with a debugger what's happening.