POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor Server Time
16 May 2024 22:36:00 EDT (-0400)
  In search of a good editor (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: Philippe Debar
Subject: In search of a good editor
Date: 19 Mar 2007 18:23:16
Message: <45ff1b64$1@news.povray.org>
Hi!

What is your favorite editor for povray in Linux? Which one would you
recommend? Coming from Windows, I was spoiled with the built-in Pov
editor and I am searching for something similar.

I use Ubuntu.

I already tried with Gedit (not enough), Scite (the best so far),
PovClipse (much too much resource hungry) and wxPyvon (unfinished and no
longer active?), but none have all the nice features of the window version.

I'd like to have:
* Easy pov options editing
* Code completion
* Insert menu
* Contextual pov help
* Hide and show image, with partial rendering
* Auto indent
* Open include files

Would no such editor exist in the Linux world? I am not very happy at
the thought that I'll have to run WinPov in Wine =_=' I might even have
to reboot Windows >_<

Povingly,

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

> What is your favorite editor for povray in Linux? Which one would you
> recommend? Coming from Windows, I was spoiled with the built-in Pov
> editor and I am searching for something similar.
>
> I use Ubuntu.
>
> I already tried with Gedit (not enough), Scite (the best so far),
> PovClipse (much too much resource hungry) and wxPyvon (unfinished and no
> longer active?), but none have all the nice features of the window version.
>
> I'd like to have:
> * Easy pov options editing
> * Code completion
> * Insert menu
> * Contextual pov help
> * Hide and show image, with partial rendering
> * Auto indent
> * Open include files

I'd add:

* pause and stop rendering (very important)
* jump to / highlight error line
* autosave before render and one-keypress render
* column selection and manipulation
* multiple splitview
* block indent/dedent and block comment/uncomment

Many other features would be useful, but these are rather essential...

Post a reply to this message