POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
13 Jun 2024 12:39:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Mar 2007 02:23:06
Message: <45ff8bda$1@news.povray.org>
Philippe Debar schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> What is your favorite editor for povray in Linux? Which one would you
> recommend? Coming from Windows, I was spoiled with the built-in Pov
> editor and I am searching for something similar.
> [...]

Well - the short answer is: if you want Windows use Windows.  Seriously!
  There is no point in using something different if you don't want to
accept a different philosophy in doing things.

One central thing is that Unix users tend to insist using the same
editor for most editing tasks.

Your list of requirements can be split into two parts: 1) general editor
features, most advanced editors offer these.  2) POV-Ray specific
requirements, most general purpose editors won't offer those.  And for
some (like a pause function) there isn't even support in POV-Ray.

That said a short list of editors:

the classics:

Emacs, Vi

others: