POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
13 Jun 2024 14:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 20 Mar 2007 09:04:27
Message: <45ffe9eb@news.povray.org>

 > Bonsai scripsit::
 >> Christoph Hormann schrieb:
 >>> others:
 >>>
 >>> Kate, SciTE, Eclipse, jEdit, ...
 >> Eclipse and jEdit are highly extensible through plug-ins to support new
 >> programming languages and/or compilers. Maybe it's possible to have such
 >> a plugin for POV-Ray too. It would be available on every platform that
 >> supports Java.
 >
 > Please look for povclipse (plugin for eclipse...)

As I wrote in my original message, I already did. It is quite good but
suffers from huge drawbacks:

* Developed for Windows ; Linux is "Not tested yet, but reported to
run". Can't find any plan to change this state.

* I had to fight a bit too much to my taste to make it work.

* I cannot get code completion to work at all.

* Why doesn't the delete key want to work?!?

* The render settings dialog is rather temperamental.

* No forum (the author doesn't seem to check those on Sourceforge very
often and they are not advertised on the main site), no community.

* It is sooo sloooowww and resource heavy.

Thanks anyway.

//Philippe