POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
1 Jun 2024 02:46:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 20 Mar 2007 09:18:36
Message: <45ffed3c$1@news.povray.org>

 > Philippe Debar schrieb:
 >> Hi!
 >>
 >> What is your favorite editor for povray in Linux? Which one would you
 >> recommend? Coming from Windows, I was spoiled with the built-in Pov
 >> editor and I am searching for something similar.
 >> [...]
 >
 > Well - the short answer is: if you want Windows use Windows.  Seriously!
 >  There is no point in using something different if you don't want to
 > accept a different philosophy in doing things.

Who said I don't want to accept a different philosophy? I am just
searching for the right tool. But it seems the typical linux
fragmentation results in a dozen of tools, none of which are complete :(

 > One central thing is that Unix users tend to insist using the same
 > editor for most editing tasks.

It is a tendency and not rule, isn't it? I know some hardcore unix guru
will use the same editor for everything : for writing code, a letter or
a book, to create web pages, to do spreadsheets and even to edit images.
I think many linux/unix users will also use a IDE to program, an text
editor to edit their configurations files, an office program to write
letters or do spreadsheets, a web-dev IDE for their internet needs and a
(or rather several) image editor to edit images. If it were not so, how
and why would all those program exist in the first place?

Should really using (or wanting to use) a specialized tool be considered
an heresy?

 > Your list of requirements can be split into two parts: 1) general editor
 > features, most advanced editors offer these.  2) POV-Ray specific
 > requirements, most general purpose editors won't offer those.  And for
 > some (like a pause function) there isn't even support in POV-Ray.

Will there be?

Povingly,

Philippe