POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Dark Triangles on Poser figures Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:58:00 EDT (-0400)
  Dark Triangles on Poser figures (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Dark Triangles on Poser figures
Date: 31 May 2004 17:57:17
Message: <40bbaa3d$1@news.povray.org>
I'm playing around with some poser figures (Victoria 3) and I'm gettng dark
triangles where the light turns to shadow.  I'm using a small area light and
radiosity (count 100), and that still doesn't get rid of the jagged shadow
lines on the figure.

I tried using double_illuminate on the figure, but that just made "light"
triangles show up in the wrong places (which is even worse).

Does anyone have any more helpful hints?

I'm going to try turning up some radiosity settings even higher, but that
will take some time to render, and I'm not sure that I'm on the right track.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

Jeremy M. Praay nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/31 17:57... :

>I'm playing around with some poser figures (Victoria 3) and I'm gettng dark
>triangles where the light turns to shadow.  I'm using a small area light and
>radiosity (count 100), and that still doesn't get rid of the jagged shadow
>lines on the figure.
>
>I tried using double_illuminate on the figure, but that just made "light"
>triangles show up in the wrong places (which is even worse).
>
>Does anyone have any more helpful hints?
>
>I'm going to try turning up some radiosity settings even higher, but that
>will take some time to render, and I'm not sure that I'm on the right track.

Use "normal on" in the radiosity settings. The poser figure is a mesh of
smooth triangles, and it use normal vectors to smooth the mesh. Normaly
radiosity ignore any normal. You can also add some off view white
surfaces to diffuse back some light into darker areas.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 1 Jun 2004 12:53:49
Message: <40bcb49d$1@news.povray.org>
Unfortunately, it appears that there is no simple solution (unless you
consider post-processing to be a solution).

I came across this article which describes exactly the problem that I'm
having, and now I'm slightly depressed:
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/TheShadowLineArtifact/index.html

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

:

> >I'm playing around with some poser figures (Victoria 3) and I'm gettng
dark
> >triangles where the light turns to shadow.  I'm using a small area light
and
> >radiosity (count 100), and that still doesn't get rid of the jagged
shadow
> >lines on the figure.
> >
> >I tried using double_illuminate on the figure, but that just made "light"
> >triangles show up in the wrong places (which is even worse).
> >
> >Does anyone have any more helpful hints?
> >
> >I'm going to try turning up some radiosity settings even higher, but that
> >will take some time to render, and I'm not sure that I'm on the right
track.

> Use "normal on" in the radiosity settings. The poser figure is a mesh of
> smooth triangles, and it use normal vectors to smooth the mesh. Normaly
> radiosity ignore any normal. You can also add some off view white
> surfaces to diffuse back some light into darker areas.
>
> Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 1 Jun 2004 19:14:51
Message: <40bd0deb$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/06/01 12:54... :

>Unfortunately, it appears that there is no simple solution (unless you
>consider post-processing to be a solution).
>
>I came across this article which describes exactly the problem that I'm
>having, and now I'm slightly depressed:
>http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/TheShadowLineArtifact/index.html

You may try enlarging the area light. It /may/ aleviate your problem by
making the shadow line fuzyer, possibly making the artifact less
visible. Try ading a dim and tight spot light to get some extra light
near the problem spot (you may need as many as there are artifacts).
Using radiosity, a white box behind and to a side of the camera can give
some extra light where needed. Make that box large enough so that it can
have a significant contribution. It may need some ambient greater than 0
or a diffuse >1. Not aplicable if there is a mirror showing that area.
Those are tentative suggestions and may be counter indicated for your sene.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Jun 2004 20:25:02
Message: <40bd1e5e$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> Unfortunately, it appears that there is no simple solution (unless you
> consider post-processing to be a solution).
>
> I came across this article which describes exactly the problem that I'm
> having, and now I'm slightly depressed:
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/TheShadowLineArtifact/index.html

It's a little discouraging.  Another answer, possibly, is to to get a
little more familiar with mesh editing tools and what free editors are
available that will load Poser .obj files ( Wings will sometimes, but
not reliably ) and just subdivide and smooth the ***p out of the model
before converting to SDL.  I mean what's the alternative, to not make
the picture you want?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 1 Jun 2004 22:20:15
Message: <40bd395f$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> > Unfortunately, it appears that there is no simple solution (unless you
> > consider post-processing to be a solution).
> >
> > I came across this article which describes exactly the problem that I'm
> > having, and now I'm slightly depressed:
> > http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/TheShadowLineArtifact/index.html
> >
> It's a little discouraging.  Another answer, possibly, is to to get a
> little more familiar with mesh editing tools and what free editors are
> available that will load Poser .obj files ( Wings will sometimes, but
> not reliably ) and just subdivide and smooth the ***p out of the model
> before converting to SDL.  I mean what's the alternative, to not make
> the picture you want?

Yeah, maybe I'll try subdividing.  Mostly, I was just playing around, but I
got a simple scene in my head, and thought I'd see how it worked.  Harsh
shadows were part of the effect that I wanted.  *sigh*

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 1 Jun 2004 22:32:06
Message: <40bd3c26@news.povray.org>

> You may try enlarging the area light. It /may/ aleviate your problem by
> making the shadow line fuzyer, possibly making the artifact less
> visible. Try ading a dim and tight spot light to get some extra light
> near the problem spot (you may need as many as there are artifacts).
> Using radiosity, a white box behind and to a side of the camera can give
> some extra light where needed. Make that box large enough so that it can
> have a significant contribution. It may need some ambient greater than 0
> or a diffuse >1. Not aplicable if there is a mirror showing that area.
> Those are tentative suggestions and may be counter indicated for your
sene.

Using a larger area light does lessen the problem, but it's still there.
BTW, I tried POV 3.6 beta also.  Maybe POV-Ray 4.0 (or 4.5 or 5.0) will fix
it.

Oh well...  I was trying to do a somewhat tasteful nude scene, which I'd
probably be rather reluctant to display publicly anyway.  ;-)  But in all
seriousness, finding good Poser clothes is difficult, making your own is
even harder, and getting the clothes to look good in a POV-Ray picture is
harder still.  But I've ranted about that before...

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Matthews
Date: 2 Jun 2004 13:27:45
Message: <40be0e11@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:

> Oh well...  I was trying to do a somewhat tasteful nude scene, which I'd
> probably be rather reluctant to display publicly anyway.  ;-)

It'd be OK, as long as you post it in JPEG2000 ;-)

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 3 Jun 2004 16:37:57
Message: <40bf8c25@news.povray.org>
"Dave Matthews" <nos### [at] nospamedu> wrote in message

> It'd be OK, as long as you post it in JPEG2000 ;-)

LOL!

It makes me think that at some point in the future, someone is going to read
that post, and not having been here a month ago, they'd have no idea what
you were talking about.  "It's ok to post nudes only in JPEG2000 format?
How strange..."  ;-)  I never did figure out how to see his "hidden image"
trick using color palette manipulation, but I suppose I could do that too...

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

From: gonzo
Date: 4 Jun 2004 00:20:16
Message: <40bff880@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:

> I came across this article which describes exactly the problem that I'm
> having, and now I'm slightly depressed:
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/TheShadowLineArtifact/index.html

I've had that problem with height_fields and some meshes from other
modellers, but never had that on a poser figure before. What did you use
to convert to Pov?