POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3dsmax/3ds viz and pov ray. Server Time
4 May 2024 01:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  3dsmax/3ds viz and pov ray. (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: 3dsmax/3ds viz and pov ray.
Date: 18 Oct 2006 02:25:20
Message: <pan.2006.10.18.06.25.19.981546@nospam.com>
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:42:37 -0400, einarabelc5 wrote:

> OHH AND BY THE WAY IF YOU GAT PISSED THATS YOUR PROBLEM NOT MINE...GROW
> UP..

Dude, chill out.  You're the one asking for help, so it's in your best
interest to work within the established framework.  It is not in your best
interest to demand that the community bend to your will and way of
working.  That's now how online communities work.

Nobody's *entitled* to help (unless you've paid for it, that's a different
matter), and being discourteous to those who can help you is a surefire
way to get people to NOT help you.

I know after seeing this reply to St., I'd certainly not be inclined to
help you even if I had the skills or knowledge.  Getting pissed at people
who *can* help you is a surefire way to get added to a twit filter.

Often times in online communities, when asking about something, it's not
good form to post a link to another set of communities (particularly to an
attachment to a message).  Discussion ensues about the linked file, and
then the linked file disappears.  What then?  Someone sees an answer that
might work for their question, but the referenced file/image/whatever
isn't there anymore, so there's no way to find out.  So the community has
to suffer because someone couldn't figure out how to (or how to ask nicely
how to) post the file locally so it's not going to vanish at the whim of
some other systems administrator.

Another issue is that if you link to a file in a remote community, if they
require registration, well geez, now I gotta register on a site I'm never
going to use in order to help this guy out?  I don't think so - he's the
one who wants help, it's up to the guy who's asking the question to make
it convenient for me to help him out.

Whether the Nvidia forums require registration or not is completely
irrelevant, so don't even go there.  If I had to figure out each and every
different set of forums' rules for whether registration was required to
download a file/read a message/whatever for every message posted, I'd give
up and go find something else to do.  So that ain't happening.  You could
give me your login and password and I still wouldn't go there.  Too damned
much hassle when there's a completely viable and workable solution:  Post
to the group indicated where I know I can access the file.

You don't need port 119 access to post files.  If you ask nicely, maybe
someone will walk you through it so you can get the help you desire.

If you want help from an online community, you gotta work within the
framework of the community, whether you like it or not.  Berating those
who have the skills and abilities to help you is a surefire way to prevent
you from getting the help you want.

Post a reply to this message