POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:04:44 EDT (-0400)
  whither POV-Ray ?? (Message 31 to 40 of 157)
From: jr
Subject: Re: whither POV-Ray ??
Date: 21 Jul 2020 15:40:01
Message: <web.5f17440a17b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:32:24 -0400, jr wrote:
> > and if you're alluding to SARS-Cov-2, re-read the thread.  the
> > "pandemic" cannot be blamed for sitting on the Moray source for thirteen
> > plus years.
>
> And your point is?  It takes people to step up to do stuff, and when
> people aren't stepping up to do stuff, things don't get done.
>
> Welcome to the world of open source development with a small project team.

hmm.  personally, I know of _v_ small "project team"s, ie individuals, who have
managed, besides living their personal lives, to create, for instance, a fully
standards compliant C compiler, in significantly fewer than thirteen years.

(for some reason everybody seems real .. coy when talk of Moray looms)

> >> Instead of complaining, maybe offer to help out where you can.
> >
> > <http://news.povray.org/web.5f00de9f17b7b05f4d00143e0%40news.povray.org>
>
> Fair enough.

very gracious, I'm sure.  (the withdrawn "a telling" was .. telling, also, or so
I think.  :-))

> Being impatient isn't going to make things go faster.  As you astutely
> observed, the "stuff going on in the world" is life.  People have them,
> and set their priorities as they see fit.
>
> They're not going to change them based on your desires, especially if you
> rant and complain to get action.

uh, this is about me now?  (if you can't play the ball, play the man?)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:37:46 -0400, jr wrote:

>> And your point is?  It takes people to step up to do stuff, and when
>> people aren't stepping up to do stuff, things don't get done.
>>
>> Welcome to the world of open source development with a small project
>> team.
>
> hmm.  personally, I know of _v_ small "project team"s, ie individuals,
> who have managed, besides living their personal lives, to create, for
> instance, a fully standards compliant C compiler, in significantly fewer
> than thirteen years.

Everyone's lives are different.  You don't get to dictate the terms that
other people live their lives by.

> (for some reason everybody seems real .. coy when talk of Moray looms)

Hey, I'd like to see Moray come back to life as well.  But I can't
contribute to it, and I sure as hell am not going to criticize people who
have their own busy lives to live for not doing something that I'm not
willing or able to step up and contribute to.

>> > <http://news.povray.org/web.
5f00de9f17b7b05f4d00143e0%40news.povray.org>

>> Fair enough.
>
> very gracious, I'm sure.  (the withdrawn "a telling" was .. telling,
> also, or so I think.  :-))

Yeah, I didn't read closely enough - the link showed up weird in my
newsreader, and I missed it.  I'll own that error on my part.

>> Being impatient isn't going to make things go faster.  As you astutely
>> observed, the "stuff going on in the world" is life.  People have them,
>> and set their priorities as they see fit.
>>
>> They're not going to change them based on your desires, especially if
>> you rant and complain to get action.
>
> uh, this is about me now?  (if you can't play the ball, play the man?)

I don't see anyone else bitching and complaining about the state of
development and throwing blame around.

The world doesn't revolve around your wants and desires, and putting
together a laundry list of complaints isn't really a great way to
motivate people to do what you want them to do.

It's one thing to ask for an update and to be polite about it.  You've
been anything but.  I've known Chris for a very long time, and while he's
being too nice to say "hey, you're being a dick about this", I don't
appreciate people being dicks to my friends.

I didn't see you step up in the past 13 years after Lutz handed off Moray
to the POV-Ray project and say "how can I help facilitate getting this
code reviewed and made available?".

If you have too delicate a disposition to be called out when you're being
a jerk, perhaps you should just go away.  At least be adult enough to own
the fact that you have all the tact of a brick through a window.