POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sintel Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Sintel (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: nemesis
Subject: Sintel
Date: 3 Oct 2010 01:00:02
Message: <web.4ca80cd67b753cebc4a3ad910@news.povray.org>
is out:

http://sintel.org/

but I'm sure you knew that already! ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Sintel
Date: 3 Oct 2010 12:22:15
Message: <4ca8adb7$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> http://sintel.org/

You know what trend is really starting to bug me? The trend for web sites to
put their blog on their home page instead of "this is what sintel is", as if
everyone on the internet has been following them all along.

As more commonly seen in software projects that make the change log the home
page.

(This is not me asking for an explanation. This is not me giving anyone here
grief about the situation. This is just me wishing people would make their
home page be an introduction to why I would care instead of giving me the
latest details that would make no sense had I not been following their site
since day one.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

On 03/10/2010 5:22 PM, Darren New wrote:

> You know what trend is really starting to bug me?

:-P

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

No I didn't. Though I feel I should have.

Not your average hollywood story.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 3 Oct 2010 14:30:01
Message: <web.4ca8cb9459981189c4a3ad910@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > http://sintel.org/
>
> You know what trend is really starting to bug me? The trend for web sites to
> put their blog on their home page instead of "this is what sintel is", as if
> everyone on the internet has been following them all along.

how about http://www.sintel.org/about/ ?

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 3 Oct 2010 14:49:19
Message: <4CA8D02F.4040009@gmail.com>
On 3-10-2010 20:29, nemesis wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> http://sintel.org/
>>
>> You know what trend is really starting to bug me? The trend for web sites to
>> put their blog on their home page instead of "this is what sintel is", as if
>> everyone on the internet has been following them all along.
>
> how about http://www.sintel.org/about/ ?

His point is not that the info cannot be found, merely that the home
page is aimed at people who already know what the website is about.
For those any page can be their bookmark so for them it is not adding
any useful info.
For the people that don't know what the website is about; they now have
to look all over the page to find a link that might explain.
I agree with darren that it is bad design.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 3 Oct 2010 15:05:01
Message: <web.4ca8d2ee59981189c4a3ad910@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 3-10-2010 6:55, nemesis wrote:
> > is out:
> >
> > http://sintel.org/
> >
> > but I'm sure you knew that already! ;)
> >

> No I didn't.

come on, not even with the emoticon attached? ;)

> Though I feel I should have.
>
> Not your average hollywood story.

Indeed not.  I believe anyone who *SPOILER {* has ever obsessed over a lost
beloved one for far too long only to get that bitter taste of  *} SPOILER* can
relate strongly to the movie.

While Blender Foundation's open-movies are essentially tech demos for their
latest blender developments (and help those developments happen by actually
asking for them for a real production), I like how their movies are pretty
subjective and contain a strong element of ridicule and meta-criticism for a
given genre.

Like, in the previous one, Big Buck Bunny, they ridicule the whole "furry
animals cartoons" and some of their conventions, like "cross-eyed" eyes and
turning cute little animals into pathologic bullies.  In Sintel, they ridicule
the whole "lone hero in an epic journey" concept to truly sinister
consequences...

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 3 Oct 2010 16:18:02
Message: <4CA8E4FA.4030908@gmail.com>
On 3-10-2010 21:01, nemesis wrote:
> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>> On 3-10-2010 6:55, nemesis wrote:
>>> is out:
>>>
>>> http://sintel.org/
>>>
>>> but I'm sure you knew that already! ;)
>>>

>> No I didn't.
>
> come on, not even with the emoticon attached? ;)
>
>> Though I feel I should have.
>>
>> Not your average hollywood story.
>
> Indeed not.  I believe anyone who *SPOILER {* has ever obsessed over a lost
> beloved one for far too long only to get that bitter taste of  *} SPOILER* can
> relate strongly to the movie.
>
> While Blender Foundation's open-movies are essentially tech demos for their
> latest blender developments (and help those developments happen by actually
> asking for them for a real production), I like how their movies are pretty
> subjective and contain a strong element of ridicule and meta-criticism for a
> given genre.
>
> Like, in the previous one, Big Buck Bunny, they ridicule the whole "furry
> animals cartoons" and some of their conventions, like "cross-eyed" eyes and
> turning cute little animals into pathologic bullies.

<SPOILER>
>  In Sintel, they ridicule
> the whole "lone hero in an epic journey" concept to truly sinister
> consequences...
</SPOILER>

too late

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 3 Oct 2010 18:43:30
Message: <4ca90712@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
 > His point is not that the info cannot be found, merely that the home page
is aimed at people who already know what the website is about.

Exactly. And, I might add, sintel.org isn't the worst offender. At least it
*has* an "about" link.

The worst offenders are the ones about libraries or programming languages or
something, where the only documentation (if any) is in the actual downloaded
code. So you have to download the thing to see if you even applies to the
same field of work you're engaged in.

I'll add the same for online news sites that don't date their articles,
online local news sites that don't tell you what state or country the news
is from, and stores that post hours on their web site without telling you
what timezone they're in.  :-)   </rant>