POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D modelling in the 70's Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  3D modelling in the 70's (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: 3D modelling in the 70's
Date: 22 Nov 2009 04:12:26
Message: <4b09007a@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> So, 30 seconds to build the model & send it to the screen.  It still
> seems ridiculously slow, but this *was* 1976 :)

  Well, one should consider that nowadays when they make computerized images
for movies, one single frame can take up to 48 hours to render, and even more,
so in fact it seems we have gone backwards... ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > So, 30 seconds to build the model & send it to the screen.  It still
> > seems ridiculously slow, but this *was* 1976 :)
>
>   Well, one should consider that nowadays when they make computerized images
> for movies, one single frame can take up to 48 hours to render, and even more,
> so in fact it seems we have gone backwards... ;)

I don't believe that is true anymore.  2 hours is more common in renderfarms, or
so I heard...

Post a reply to this message

> So, 30 seconds to build the model & send it to the screen.  It still
> seems ridiculously slow, but this *was* 1976 :)

The Asteroids video game came out in 1979, so it's hard to believe that it
really took that much more compute time, going from 2 minutes a frame to
real-time, without something odd in the hardware going on.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?

Post a reply to this message

> The Asteroids video game came out in 1979, so it's hard to believe that
> it really took that much more compute time, going from 2 minutes a frame
> to real-time, without something odd in the hardware going on.

Asteroids wasn't 3D.  Even slightly.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net