POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D modelling in the 70's : Re: 3D modelling in the 70's Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D modelling in the 70's
From: Warp
Date: 22 Nov 2009 11:56:59
Message: <4b096d5b@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding 8bit, charset: iso-8859-1, 14 lines --]

> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > So, 30 seconds to build the model & send it to the screen.  It still
> > > seems ridiculously slow, but this *was* 1976 :)
> >
> >   Well, one should consider that nowadays when they make computerized images
> > for movies, one single frame can take up to 48 hours to render, and even more,
> > so in fact it seems we have gone backwards... ;)

> I don't believe that is true anymore.  2 hours is more common in renderfarms, or
> so I heard...

  Are you talking about averages or about worst-case scenarios? If I remember
correctly, the slowest frames in the Transformers 2 movie took well over a
day to render. (I have read that one of the reasons why Devastator had so
little screen time is that it took so much time to render each frame that
they were simply hitting deadlines and computing budgets. The Devastator
model had like an order of magnitude more detail than any of the other
robots.)

--
                                                          - Warp