POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PNG to Avi on a Mac? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  PNG to Avi on a Mac? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: PNG to Avi on a Mac?
Date: 19 Jul 2008 19:01:31
Message: <4882724b@news.povray.org>
Hey there,

I know, I've asked this question a few months ago already, but I can't
find the thread anymore, probably because off-topic-threads don't stay
for all eternity. ;-)

I'm in need of an Encoder for my Mac, preferrably with options to output
to MPG2 and MP4, DivX might be nice, Quicktime-Movie files as well, but
these last two are optional. I output PNGs on my Mac, but could of
course switch to any other POV-native Output if need be.

Anyways, someone pointed me towards some console-based converter that I
should get using Fink... Anyone care to remind me? :-)

To my defense, I've had various health troubles this year, been seeing
various doctors and am finally getting back on track, being creative and
productive didn't fit into the schedule (or my abilities due to the
sickness, to be honest).

Regards,
Tim

Post a reply to this message

You can use the QuiktimePlayer to import PNG-sequences and export it into AVI.

If You have a Intel-based MAC I recommend to use VirtualDub under Windows
instead of Quiktime. I was converting about 10000 PNG-files (HD) to AVI.
VirtualDub needs 8-12 seconds to import the sequence from the Linux-Server.
Quiktime uses over one hour and 50 minutes! just to import the images!

Also you have much more codecs available under Windows; just look for codecpacs.

Post a reply to this message

> You can use the QuiktimePlayer to import PNG-sequences and export it into AVI.
>
> If You have a Intel-based MAC I recommend to use VirtualDub under Windows
> instead of Quiktime. I was converting about 10000 PNG-files (HD) to AVI.
> VirtualDub needs 8-12 seconds to import the sequence from the Linux-Server.
> Quiktime uses over one hour and 50 minutes! just to import the images!
>
> Also you have much more codecs available under Windows; just look for codecpacs.

Thanks for suggesting VirtualDub, I was racking my brain which freeware
application there'd be for a Mac... TMPGEnc is the one I used on
Windows, but that one isn't for a Mac. As for Codecs, I don't dabble
that much in that regard, DivX or MPEG4 are widespread and for my
purposes the best choice, unless I simply use old-school MPEG1. ;-)

Regards,
Tim

Post a reply to this message