POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : evil TV commercials Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  evil TV commercials (Message 51 to 60 of 78)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: evil TV commercials
Date: 18 May 2008 15:32:55
Message: <48308467$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 18 May 2008 11:18:42 -0500, Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Fair enough - in past conversations, I hadn't noticed that behaviour
>> before from you, so it caught me a little off guard. ;-)
>
> 	I was just testing some waters.

Well, no fault there - I do that myself enough as it is. :-)

> 	I did find the original comment to be quite judgmental, and I was
a bit
> reactive to it, because I often hear such stuff locally. Given the local
> context, I felt most of them are unjustified (and if I wanted, could
> often find plenty of flaws in their own parenting...). Some people just
> have certain "rules". If you don't hug your kid, you're a bad parent. If
> you don't throw birthday parties, you're a bad parent. If you don't buy
> your daughter dolls, you're a bad parent. Those rules are applied
> without looking at the whole picture.
>
> 	Based on your reply, that didn't seem to be the case there.

Oh, no, absolutely not.  We're not the kind of people who reach a
conclusion (generally - of course we do slip from time to time, but it is
rare) without looking at the whole situation - we've been on the
receiving end of that more than once (we home-schooled Ken through high
school, you want to talk about being on the receiving end of snap
judgments, that's one way to become a target, especially living so close
to the school he used to go to).  It's extremely rare that we come to a
conclusion like that on an individual basis (though we do see trends of
that behaviour all around us - Utah is a place where large families are
frequently the norm, and often times this leads to burn-out on the part
of the mom and kids end up raising each other, but without the kind of
family support structure that was present a couple generations ago.  And
yes, it is usually mom burning out - since the dad's the primary
breadwinner in many of these families.)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> receiving end of that more than once (we home-schooled Ken through high
> school, you want to talk about being on the receiving end of snap
> judgments, that's one way to become a target, especially living so close
> to the school he used to go to).  It's extremely rare that we come to a

	Yes, I've heard homeschooling tends to be opposed for no good reason.
If I ever have kids, I'd like to homeschool them as well. The
feasibility of either (for me) remains to be seen.<G>

--
"Scotty, beam us a board!" (2x4 drops from sky)

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message