POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : evil TV commercials : Re: evil TV commercials Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: evil TV commercials
From: Phil Cook
Date: 19 May 2008 11:58:48
Message: <op.uberz6l4c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 19 May 2008 16:16:59 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:15:29 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> Heh, better watch out, your sarcasm tags are showing, Phil. ;-)
>>
>> Me sarcastic? No, you must have me mistaken for someone else.
>
> Oh, I don't think so. ;-)
>
>> But seriously what next "Ask your doctor to use PhilCo extra-sharp
>> needles", "Did you know 1 in 20 Americans get a reaction from alcohol
>> swabs, why not ask your doctor to use PhilCo anti-allergen swabs",
>
> Hey, that could help with my allergy shots.

PhilCo, serving the needs of tomorrow yesterday.

>> "Why
>> weren't your test results processed in a PhilCo machine? Get your
>> results back faster and with a greater degree of precision then compared
>> to other leading test machine brands", or "Is your doctor using standard
>> seat cushions in their waiting rooms? Tests show that normal seats can
>> retain germs for up to two days. Ask for a PhilCo seat because you don't
>> want to catch what they've got"
>
> LOL

"Is this you stuck in a queue at your local megamarket? If so chances are
they're using a slow and outdated till. See this like-for-like comparision
between two queues, one using a standard till and the other a PhilCo 8000.
Your time is precious, why wait, ask your megamarket to buy a PhilCo 8000
today."

I mean it's nuts nobody would think about getting customers to suggest a
store invest in a particular brand of till, or CCTV camera, or floor tile
and advertisers won't bother targetting them. Yet talk about
pharmaceuticals and bam everyone's a bleedin' expert based on a one-minute
infomercial on the benefits of Bendroxalphaltimine over other brands.

Meh I'm just weary of this I caught a Ch4 thing on the claims of cosmetic
companies. 'So long as they don't make medicinal claims then they can say
what they like without any clinical studies being published' I just love
to read the small print they have to publish '75% of women said they
noticed a difference' - based on a survey of 52 women; wooh that's
statistically valid.

The funny part was that Ch4 blind-tested some women with cheap to
expensive products and most of the ones seemed to claim a difference after
four weeks. That was until they were re-examined by dermatolgists who came
back with the results that a few had improved, a few had not changed, and
a few had got worse; with no apparent difference between the £5 tube of
moisturiser and the £100+ complete skin care range.

Oh and all the companies asked to comment on this result came back with a
'well our surveys/studies were larger then yours, but we're not going to
let you see them'

>> [snort] My my the way my mind works - "Is your airline using standard
>> seat cushions in their planes? Tests show that normal seats can hide
>> terrorists for up to two days. Ask for a PhilCo seat because you don't
>> want you and your family to end up dead"
>
> Why am I suddenly hearing George Carlin? ;-)

I don't know, has he just rung you? :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com