POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : evil TV commercials : Re: evil TV commercials Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: evil TV commercials
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 May 2008 12:42:36
Message: <4831adfc$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:58:44 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

>> Hey, that could help with my allergy shots.
>
> PhilCo, serving the needs of tomorrow yesterday.

Better that than "serving the needs of yesterday tomorrow". :-)

>> LOL
>
> "Is this you stuck in a queue at your local megamarket? If so chances
> are they're using a slow and outdated till. See this like-for-like
> comparision between two queues, one using a standard till and the other
> a PhilCo 8000. Your time is precious, why wait, ask your megamarket to
> buy a PhilCo 8000 today."

LOL, if I start laughing and have to explain to coworkers.  Bugger,
forgot to mute my phone and had to explain about cats fighting outside....

> I mean it's nuts nobody would think about getting customers to suggest a
> store invest in a particular brand of till, or CCTV camera, or floor
> tile and advertisers won't bother targetting them. Yet talk about
> pharmaceuticals and bam everyone's a bleedin' expert based on a
> one-minute infomercial on the benefits of Bendroxalphaltimine over other
> brands.

Yep, I agree with this.  Then you get people who have no background in
pharmacology or chemistry making claims about drugs based on those 60-
second spots.

> of women said they noticed a difference' - based on a survey of 52
> women; wooh that's statistically valid.

Heh, yeah, gotta love that.

> The funny part was that Ch4 blind-tested some women with cheap to
> expensive products and most of the ones seemed to claim a difference
> after four weeks. That was until they were re-examined by dermatolgists
> who came back with the results that a few had improved, a few had not
> changed, and a few had got worse; with no apparent difference between
> the £5 tube of moisturiser and the £100+ complete skin care range.

I see this kind of thing fairly regularly - it's amazing what you can
sell people on, and how gullible the average person really is.

> Oh and all the companies asked to comment on this result came back with
> a 'well our surveys/studies were larger then yours, but we're not going
> to let you see them'

Yeah.  Get 'em on video saying that, that'll tank their marketing as long
as enough people see it.  Get Newsnight to do an expose on it. ;-)

>> Why am I suddenly hearing George Carlin? ;-)
>
> I don't know, has he just rung you? :-P

Heh, wishful thinking - he doesn't know me from Adam.  I was thinking
about his bit on jumping up and down on seat cushions...

Jim