POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) (Message 56 to 65 of 175)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
Date: 20 Feb 2008 15:09:52
Message: <47bc8910@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:01:25 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:44:59 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>>> like I said, photorealism is not a matter of opinion.
>>
>> Sure it is.  It all depends on one's perception of the image.  You
>> might look at an image and say "gee, that looks really photorealistic",
>> and I might respond "are you on drugs?  Look at that shadow, that's
>> clearly not right".  You might disagree about that particular shadow
>> (whatever it is).
>
> if I saw at a sharp shadow and said it was photorealistic, I'd sure be
> on drugs. ;)

Now I didn't necessarily say a sharp shadow, did I?

>> Have you ever been to a movie with someone who thinks the CG effects
>> are outstanding and "the most realistic effects they'd ever seen", only
>> to tell them that they were crap effects?
>
> People's opinions on whether something is photorealistic is irrelevant
> as to whether it is or not.  The only way to test it out would be to
> take a photo, model a scene similar to it and render.  Then diff the
> render and the photo.

I've seen photos that don't look photorealistic to me.  It most certainly
is a matter of opinion.

You might opt to take a - shall we say - religious view towards your
correctness; that doesn't mean you're right. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:01:25 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>> People's opinions on whether something is photorealistic is irrelevant
>> as to whether it is or not.  The only way to test it out would be to
>> take a photo, model a scene similar to it and render.  Then diff the
>> render and the photo.
> You might opt to take a - shall we say - religious view towards your
> correctness; that doesn't mean you're right. ;-)

I'd say that's a technical stance.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:17:04 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:01:25 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>>> People's opinions on whether something is photorealistic is irrelevant
>>> as to whether it is or not.  The only way to test it out would be to
>>> take a photo, model a scene similar to it and render.  Then diff the
>>> render and the photo.
>> You might opt to take a - shall we say - religious view towards your
>> correctness; that doesn't mean you're right. ;-)
>
> I'd say that's a technical stance.

You measure photorealism in one way - and that's fine.  Doesn't mean
that's the way everyone measures it.

For one thing, your view of photorealism depends on the scene actually
being able to be photographed.  So, for example, how would you do a
photorealism check on, say, Battlestar Pegasus?

Jim

Post a reply to this message