POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: Brute force renderers Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force renderers
From: Tom York
Date: 20 Feb 2008 15:50:00
Message: <web.47bc9197983c54177d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Am I incorrect if I get the impression that these unbiased renderers
> offer nothing else than unbiased rendering? In other words, even the
> simplest of scenes will take hours to look ungrainy, no matter what
> you do?

I know of at least one (Kerkythea) that supports unbiased rendering as well as
other methods; you select the rendering algorithm you want to use from a list,
which includes conventional raytracing. You can't mix methods within the same
render, of course.

I don't find it surprising that most of these apps focus on one particular
rendering algorithm, though, considering the effort it takes to get even one of
them right, with features that make such apps useful.

Tom