POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Feb 2008 18:30:40
Message: <47bcb820@news.povray.org>

47bc9c10$1@news.povray.org...

> If you buy top hardware, model, texture, and drop accurate lighting in
> your scene, PoV can do it, too.
> The trick is the accurate lighting.  It's not impossible to do in PoV.

Unfortunately, it is.

POV can do a lot of things, but there are many common lighting situations
that are just out of reach from a practical point of view. It's not just the
lighting model, but also the texturing model that is insufficient.

When I was busy playing with POV, the key to get good images was to
precisely to avoid these kind of lighting/texturing situations. There are
things that POV sucks at rendering unless one spends a lot of time trying to
find workarounds (or brushing off artifacts...).

The area_illumination feature that Warp introduced in the latest 3.7 beta is
one of those things that the previous versions couldn't do: of course one
could simulate it with grids of point lights, but it was just too
impractical for common usage. Another feature that is sorely missing is
efficient blurred reflection. There's a trick to do that in POV but the
results are usable in only certain (limited) circumstances. In modern
renderers, blurred reflection can be applied to all the materials in the
scene, thus allowing correct specularity and (inter-)reflections, and this
adds tremendously to realism.
The beauty of using more advanced renderers (biased or unbiased) is that
those blocks no longer exist, either because the results are accurate from
the start (unbiased) or because they are lots of optimisations for speed
(biased). Just describe accurately your lights and materials, and the system
works out of the box.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com