POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 20 years of video game water effects Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  20 years of video game water effects (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Darren New
Subject: 20 years of video game water effects
Date: 1 Dec 2007 12:29:46
Message: <47519a0a$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=622718&entity_id=-1&image_id=741106&page=1

Mildly interesting. Cool to see when everyone decided you could make it
*transparent*!  :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: 20 years of video game water effects
Date: 2 Dec 2007 10:38:34
Message: <4752d17a@news.povray.org>
Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/01 12:29:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=622718&entity_id=-1&image_id=741106&page=1

> Mildly interesting. Cool to see when everyone decided you could make it
> *transparent*!  :-)

Earliest transparent in the galery: 2001. Earliest I have is from 2000.
TreadMarks feature transparent water, as well as a landscape that you can alter:
you can dig craters or create hils.

--
Alain
   My wife is such a bad cook, in my house we pray after the meal.

Post a reply to this message

From: Joel Yliluoma
Date: 3 Dec 2007 06:25:57
Message: <slrnfl7pug.2o8.bisqwit@bisqwit.iki.fi>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:38:35 -0500, Alain wrote:
> Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/01 12:29:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=622718&entity_id=-1&image_id=741106&page=1

>> Mildly interesting. Cool to see when everyone decided you could make it
>> *transparent*!  :-)
>>
> Earliest transparent in the galery: 2001. Earliest I have is from 2000.

What is your definition of transparent? Even the Sonic
shot from 1991 had transparent water through dithering.
Donkey Kong Country for SNES had transparent water
through layers in 1994.

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://iki.fi/bisqwit/

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 Dec 2007 10:12:09
Message: <47541cc9$1@news.povray.org>
Joel Yliluoma nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/03 06:25:
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:38:35 -0500, Alain wrote:
>> Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/01 12:29:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=622718&entity_id=-1&image_id=741106&page=1

>>> Mildly interesting. Cool to see when everyone decided you could make it
>>> *transparent*!  :-)
>>>
>> Earliest transparent in the galery: 2001. Earliest I have is from 2000.
>
> What is your definition of transparent? Even the Sonic
> shot from 1991 had transparent water through dithering.
> Donkey Kong Country for SNES had transparent water
> through layers in 1994.

NOT faked transparency. Dithering is faked transparency. Not using artifices
like layers. Real time, on the fly, transparency, not predetermined by the
initial geometry. You can see your tank, and that of your oponents trough the
water, with reflections of the sky.

--
Alain
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 3 Dec 2007 10:20:43
Message: <47541eca@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> NOT faked transparency. Dithering is faked transparency. Not using artifices
> like layers. Real time, on the fly, transparency, not predetermined by the
> initial geometry. You can see your tank, and that of your oponents trough the
> water, with reflections of the sky.

  All water transparency in videogames is currently faked because there's
no ior (at least not physically accurate one).

  The SNES supported blending of layers (ie. without dithering), so the
final pixel color did actually get calculated on the fly according to
the color of the water tile and the tile of whatever was behind it. Does
that count as "not faked"?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 Dec 2007 23:27:00
Message: <4754d714$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/03 10:20:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> NOT faked transparency. Dithering is faked transparency. Not using artifices
>> like layers. Real time, on the fly, transparency, not predetermined by the
>> initial geometry. You can see your tank, and that of your oponents trough the
>> water, with reflections of the sky.
>
>   All water transparency in videogames is currently faked because there's
> no ior (at least not physically accurate one).
>
>   The SNES supported blending of layers (ie. without dithering), so the
> final pixel color did actually get calculated on the fly according to
> the color of the water tile and the tile of whatever was behind it. Does
> that count as "not faked"?

It count as "simplified" water transparency, whitch is acceptable for just about
any game. Even more acceptable if there is also some reflection and the surface
have some normals of is shaped, and you are in movement.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you have ever snuck out of your

Post a reply to this message

From: Joel Yliluoma
Date: 4 Dec 2007 02:07:48
Message: <slrnfl9v6i.r1k.bisqwit@bisqwit.iki.fi>
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:26:57 -0500, Alain wrote:
> It count as "simplified" water transparency, whitch is acceptable for just about
> any game. Even more acceptable if there is also some reflection and the surface
> have some normals of is shaped, and you are in movement.

Doesn't the talk about "reflection" and "surface normals"
completely exclude the possibility of 2D games?

Because in those games, there's no way to see the surface
from the above or from the below, to detect either of
those traits.

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://iki.fi/bisqwit/