POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. Server Time
18 Oct 2024 12:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. (Message 431 to 440 of 588)
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
Date: 11 Dec 2007 20:55:56
Message: <475f3fac$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> Or are you telling me that starving babies in Africa isn't a bad thing?
>> Cancer is really good in disguise? Lynching blacks is really *good* for
>> them?
>
> These are human tragedies.  Shit happens.
>
> It's not good for the people involved, but to what extent?  To die as a baby or
> to survive only to be enslaved, or abused, and to die of hunger or AIDS
> eventually?  How can you say to live is better than to die?  Maybe God has
> other plans for these people.  And regardless if you have any faith or not,
> these tragedies always end up resulting in something positive in the end,
> either making us rethink our way of life or being less egoistical.  It's
> actually in such times that we see the best of people coming out and letting be
> known.

Something good happens, it's time to thank God for it. Something bad
happens, then it must be God's will? Either God does interact with
people in this existence, or he doesn't. If he interacts to cause some
good things to happen, miracles that the tele-evangelists are always
talking about, then why does he continue to allow this bad stuff to happen?

In other words, if God is omnipotent and omniscient, why does his
planning suck?

>> So the original bit still stands - either God *can't* stop the evil, or
>> he *decides* not to stop the evil.
>
> yin-yang.  One cannot exist without the other.  Evil serves the purpose of
> showing the nature of Good by contrast.  Is Evil outside God's control?  Was
> Evil created by God as everything else?  Or is Evil just a different God?
>
> these questions are outside my reach.  It doesn't matter, because I chose the
> side I'm comfortable the most.

If Evil is outside of God's control, then God is not omnipotent. If he
simply does not stop evil, but allows it to happen when he could act to
stop it, then he is not Good. And if he can not interact with us to stop
it, then why get upset that some people choose not to believe in
something that can not even interact with this existence?

Post a reply to this message