18 Oct 2024 14:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Dec 2007 21:48:26
Message: <475f4bfa$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Irrational to you - that's part of what I'm saying, if I say "God told me
> x", you might see it as irrational because it wasn't God who was talking
> to you, but to me it's entirely rational because God talked to me.

That's not the meaning of the word "rational" I was using.

> Even if they did happen, they wouldn't be proof of the existence of God.
> Even if modern science had no rational explanation for them, they still
> wouldn't prove the existence of God.

Yes, I know.

> Nostradamas, anyone?  Some say he was very specific (something I disagree
> with, but it's all a matter of perspective).

In the things for which he was very specific, he was also wrong.

And again, if you take a prediction that's sufficiently vague, and you
allow for minor errors, it's easy to find *something* that matches.

Mash any five keys on your keyboard. Now go try to find what word that
*might* be in a big dictionary. How often will you find something?

>> Well, the logic rules we use are scientifically supported, and science
>> seems to continue to obey the laws of logic.
>
> That doesn't seem much different than "the bible is consistent because
> the bible says it is".....

I was simply pointing out the difference between science and logic.
Science isn't right because science say it's right. Science is right
because science changes until it matches the observed world.

>> If modus ponens didn't work, we wouldn't use it. Since begging the
>> question doesn't work, we don't use it.
>
> Now I need to go and try again to understand modus ponens. :)

If A implies B, and A is true, then B is true.

> Sounds a lot like something I'd enjoy - thanks again for the reference,
> will definitely have to find a copy.

Amazon!

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)