POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. Server Time
16 Oct 2024 16:48:50 EDT (-0400)
  Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. (Message 221 to 230 of 588)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
Date: 4 Dec 2007 23:32:07
Message: <475629c7$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:15:55 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>> Here's the other thing: Atheists can generally provide a long list of
>> "here's things that would convince me to be religious."  Theists can
>> rarely provide a single answer to "what would convince you you're
>> wrong?"
>
> Well, that's proving a negative (after a fashion, perhaps), which is not
> generally regarded, AIUI, as a valid scientific approach.

Errr, not at all. Of course you can prove a negative in the scientific
sense. "This drug does not cause cancer."

I can provide a long list of things that could happen that would very
quickly convince me that I am wrong about the non-existence of God.

I have never met an theist who could give a single example of anything
that would convince him *his* religion is wrong. (Note: there have been
such theists in history - people conquered by christians, for example
who decided that meant the christian god must be stronger than their
own.)  I guess you could call the original christians such theists, and
probably the original muslims, mormons, etc. On the gripping hand,
they're all followers of JHVH, so it's not real clear this was actually
changing their minds.

Hence, all the arguments that "atheism is just another religion" is
wrong, because atheism, not being based purely on faith, is open to
change via argument or evidence.  At least mine is.

(There's actually a number of interesting SF books I've read wherein
God's existence is scientifically proven.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message