POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Kindling (Message 331 to 340 of 520)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Kindling
Date: 24 Jan 2011 03:42:23
Message: <4d3d3b6f$1@news.povray.org>
>> A good example is the adverts before a film on a DVD that you are forced
>> to watch. A cracked copy will usually cut out the adverts, and some
>> people would say it is doing no harm by doing that themselves for their
>> own personal use. But, the fact that the adverts cannot be skipped is
>> actually creating income for the publisher, without them they'd need to
>> charge more for the DVD in the first place.
>>
> This is funnier than hell. You do realize that 100% of those
> advertisement are for products *produced* by the same company that you
> bought the DVD from? Who are they losing revenue from if you remove
> them, themselves?

> Sure, you "might" see something you want to buy later,

You seemed to answer your own question.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 24 Jan 2011 04:16:05
Message: <4d3d4355$1@news.povray.org>
> While there seems to be no restrictions in terms of TV size, a 3D TV
> needs a minimum refresh rate of 120Hz (a basic 60Hz displayed for each
> eye). The higher the refresh rate, the smoother the 3D effect. So a
> 240Hz set will be capable of outputting 120Hz to each eye.
>
> HDMI 1.4 will also be required for full HD per eye viewing."

According to the wikipedia article on HDMI there seems to be various
options for how to actually send the 3D data along the link (frame by
frame or left/right image joined together in each frame).  It's a bit
unclear exactly how this is sent, but the table further down says that
3D over 1080p60 is not possible.

> The forum post I found explaining why I couldn't just use a TV that
> claims 120hz, but isn't, I don't remember the link to. But, basically,
> while, in theory, you only need 25 frames a second to "see" an image,
> this isn't practical for various reasons, especially motion issues,
> which is why games *attempt* to always produce at least 50 frames a
> second, if not 60. The difference "is" visible, since even though the
> eye only needs 25, those 25 don't necessarily match the "frame rate" the
> eye is looking at the screen with (i.e., your meat system isn't
> "synchronized" with the refresh rate on the display). So, trying to use
> 30 frames a second, by splitting 60hz (i.e. 60 frames) flat out won't
> work properly. The closer you can get to 60 frames a second per eye, the
> less likely you are to notice any sort of flicker, blurring, etc., from
> desynching.

I guess the TV processes whatever input it is getting and then decides
how to display it.  If it's getting a 2xp24 input then it probably shows
each eye frame twice alternately.

Next step is to find out if it's possible to coax a standard PC/GPU/3DTV
to show a 120 Hz 2D image...

Post a reply to this message