POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jan 2011 04:38:30
Message: <4d3d4896$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Depends on the quality you're looking for, but yes, having the right
>>> tools helps (in both cases).
>>
>> I'd suggest having the right technicians helps more. Mix engineering is
>> non-trivial, whether you have the right equipment or not.
>
> I consider the personnel part of the toolset in this case.  Just like if
> you're publishing a technical book, having a good technical reviewer and
> editor is essential to ending with a good product.

Drifting somewhat off topic here, but today you can buy software and
hardware that lets you use a home PC to do almost everything that would
be possible in a recording studio. (About the only bit you *can't*
easily do is really high quality recording of acoustic signals. But if
you're making synthesizer music like me, that's irrelevant.)

The difference, of course, is that me twiddling with the equaliser knob
is no match for a professional mix engineer who knows WTF he's doing.
And if you listen to the music I've made, you can tell it doesn't sound
very good.