POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt (Message 39 to 48 of 78)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
Date: 11 Dec 2010 10:08:57
Message: <4d039409$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> anybody studies them - set theory, number theory, category theory, etc.)

Set theory is how you prove arithmetic works. Prove 2+3=5.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Dec 2010 10:29:39
Message: <4d0398e3$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2010 03:08 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> anybody studies them - set theory, number theory, category theory, etc.)
>
> Set theory is how you prove arithmetic works. Prove 2+3=5.

I didn't say that set theory is not *important*. I said it is not
*interesting*. Certainly not to me, anyway. The obvious stuff is
obvious, and the non-obvious stuff is all tedious riddle-like splitting
of hairs rather than interesting insights.

Also, several sources state that set theory is the fundamental basis of
all of modern mathematics, but not one single one makes any attempt to
explain this sweeping statement. Your assertion that set theory somehow
has something vaguely to do with arithmetic is typical of this type of
statement. If there *is* some kind of connection between set theory and
arithmetic, it is highly non-obvious.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I didn't say that set theory is not *important*. I said it is not
> *interesting*.

It's interesting if you want to know whether arithmetic is complete and
consistent, for example.  Godel's theorem certainly is an interesting insight.

> Also, several sources state that set theory is the fundamental basis of
> all of modern mathematics, but not one single one makes any attempt to
> explain this sweeping statement. Your assertion that set theory somehow
> has something vaguely to do with arithmetic is typical of this type of
> statement. If there *is* some kind of connection between set theory and
> arithmetic, it is highly non-obvious.

And *that* is what makes it interesting!  Set theory is like the lambda
calculus - it's tiny and trivial, but you can prove anything with it.