POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Dec 2010 10:38:27
Message: <4d039af3$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I didn't say that set theory is not *important*. I said it is not
> *interesting*.

It's interesting if you want to know whether arithmetic is complete and
consistent, for example.  Godel's theorem certainly is an interesting insight.

> Also, several sources state that set theory is the fundamental basis of
> all of modern mathematics, but not one single one makes any attempt to
> explain this sweeping statement. Your assertion that set theory somehow
> has something vaguely to do with arithmetic is typical of this type of
> statement. If there *is* some kind of connection between set theory and
> arithmetic, it is highly non-obvious.

And *that* is what makes it interesting!  Set theory is like the lambda
calculus - it's tiny and trivial, but you can prove anything with it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: