POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: clipka
Date: 11 Dec 2010 15:45:28
Message: <4d03e2e8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.12.2010 14:46, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

> Well, when I was a teenager I wrote my first ray tracer. Which doesn't
> sound that impressive, until you realise that I have to figure out how a
> ray tracer actually *works* in the first place, using nothing other than
> the documentation for POV-Ray. (This is *before* Warp added the SDL ray
> tracer, I should point out... That would have made it significantly
> easier, obviously.)

Hehe - when I was a teenager, I wrote a raytracer, too - without even
knowing POV-Ray; all I had was a few printed b/w chrome spheres on
checkered planes, the desire to do the same, Snell's law, and a
classmate who took over the task of developing UI components for the
interface (we didn't have a library for that either) :-P

Needless to say that the thing was awfully simple, and did not even work
properly - it got the normals of non-uniformly scaled spheres wrong -
but hey, you can't do everything right all the time, can you ;-)