POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two things that irritate me Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Two things that irritate me (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Warp
Subject: Two things that irritate me
Date: 28 Aug 2010 14:38:34
Message: <4c7957a9@news.povray.org>
There are two things that irritate me quite a lot when people write
prose, especially online:

  1: When, in the middle of a longer sentence, they start writing something
in parentheses, but never close them. Sometimes it's confusing and hard to
guess where the thing in parentheses is supposed to end.

  2: When people write something like: "Two points: Firstly, ..." but then
they never write "Secondly, ..." or anything like that anywhere in the text.
Thus it's hard to see what the *other* point they are making is.

  Yeah, minor things, but...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> There are two things that irritate me quite a lot when people write
> prose, especially online:
>
>   1: When, in the middle of a longer sentence, they start writing something
> in parentheses, but never close them. Sometimes it's confusing and hard to
> guess where the thing in parentheses is supposed to end.

these should have a crash course in Lisp.

>   2: When people write something like: "Two points: Firstly, ..." but then
> they never write "Secondly, ..." or anything like that anywhere in the text.
> Thus it's hard to see what the *other* point they are making is.

these should just throw their 2 cents as usual...

Post a reply to this message

>    There are two things that irritate me quite a lot when people write
> prose, especially online:
>
>    1: When, in the middle of a longer sentence, they start writing something
> in parentheses, but never close them. Sometimes it's confusing and hard to
> guess where the thing in parentheses is supposed to end.

Oh, crap. I do that all the time...

Post a reply to this message

For extra comedy you should have written: "There are three things that irritate
me ..." ;)

Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> There are two things that irritate me quite a lot when people write
> prose, especially online:
>
>   1: When, in the middle of a longer sentence, they start writing something
> in parentheses, but never close them. Sometimes it's confusing and hard to
> guess where the thing in parentheses is supposed to end.
>
>   2: When people write something like: "Two points: Firstly, ..." but then
> they never write "Secondly, ..." or anything like that anywhere in the text.
> Thus it's hard to see what the *other* point they are making is.
>
>   Yeah, minor things, but...

> There are two things that irritate me quite a lot when people write
> prose, especially online:
>
>   1: When, in the middle of a longer sentence, they start writing something
> in parentheses, but never close them. Sometimes it's confusing and hard to
> guess where the thing in parentheses is supposed to end.
>
>   2: When people write something like: "Two points: Firstly, ..." but then
> they never write "Secondly, ..." or anything like that anywhere in the text.
> Thus it's hard to see what the *other* point they are making is.
>
>   Yeah, minor things, but...
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

FIVE THINGS THAT IRRITATE ME:

1. EXCESSIVE CAPITALIZATION

B. PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THAT A PREPOSITION IS NOT WHAT ONE SHOULD END A SENTENCE
WITH.

III. NIT-PICKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S WRITING STYLE

FOUR: PEOPLE NOT FINISHING WHAT THEY START.

Post a reply to this message