POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two things that irritate me : Re: Two things that irritate me Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two things that irritate me
From: Warp
Date: 30 Aug 2010 14:30:25
Message: <4c7bf8c0@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   There are two things that irritate me quite a lot when people write
> > prose, especially online:

> BTW, "fake" doesn't mean what you think it means. :-) A machine-assisted
> speed-run is still "fake" even if everyone knows it's speed-assisted, just
> like Star Wars had fake space ships.

  A movie is not a "fake documentary" because a movie is not intended to
pass for one. It's made clear that it's fiction, and hence it's completely
genuine fiction. Nobody calls a movie "a fake documentary".

  A documentary which fabricates events and claims them to have truly
happened, with the intention of fooling people, is fake.

  Likewise a tool-assisted speedrun is not a "fake speedrun" because it's
not made for the purpose of fooling people into thinking that it's one.
Calling it a fake makes as much sense as calling a movie a fake documentary.

--
                                                          - Warp