POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : imperial vs metric Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  imperial vs metric (Message 31 to 40 of 54)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: imperial vs metric
Date: 26 Aug 2010 16:15:27
Message: <4c76cb5f$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:28:25 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> That depends on whether the bits actually get rotated.  From my
>>> recollection of x86 assembly, it's a shift, not a rotation. :)
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> My recollection, of course, has changed now that I re-read this, I
>> remember ROR and ROL operators, which do in fact rotate.  I just
>> remember using SHL and SHR more frequently.
>
> Whether your processor supports it or not, binary rotations exist. You
> can implement them the hard way if you must. I've seen a few block
> ciphers that use 'em too...

Well, that's why I said what I said about my faulty recollection. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 28 Aug 2010 03:01:30
Message: <4c78b44a$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/23/2010 2:47 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Metric has the advantage that you don't get into weird problems with
> units when you do science. I don't think it really matters that things
> are specifically multiples of 10 until you start getting into figuring
> out ranges of numbers where exponents come into play.

If you've taken physics, the real help comes in the fact that the
majority of units are some multiple of other units with no other factors
to throw in (and thus, misremembered at times).

For example, one Watt (unit of power) is equal to one Joule (unit of
energy) per second.  One horsepower (imperial unit of power) is equal to
some silly number of foot-pounds per second.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message