POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : imperial vs metric : Re: imperial vs metric Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: imperial vs metric
From: Stephen
Date: 29 Aug 2010 05:17:43
Message: <4c7a25b7$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/08/2010 12:53 AM, Darren New wrote:

> Well, *now* it is precise. Obviously it wasn't precise when it was
> formulated.  I think the foot, however, was the size of some specific
> king's foot. And the metric measurements have changed definitions over
> the years as well.

Henry I of England, but not his bare foot.

>> Besides, you need to put true mental calculations at work to convert
>> between
>> units, instead of simply moving the point forward or backwards between
>> centimeters, meters and kilometers...
>
> Sure, because there are different units, unlike the SI measurements
> which only have one unit per fundamental element being measured. I still
> have to put mental calculations forth to translate between seconds and
> meters, or between meters and light-years, or between watt-hours and
> watt-months, or between moles and grams, because they're different units
> based on arbitrary physical properties. The fact that one has to
> translate between inches and feet isn't really any more of a problem
> than the fact that metric measurements have to translate between seconds
> and years.

I would say less of a problem, actually. Constantly doing mental
arithmetic helps keep the mind active. I’ve noticed, here in the UK, the
lack of ability in young people who grew up learning the metric system.
I assume that they did not have to do sums like:
What is the cost of 3 yards 1 foot of material @ 2/6 a yard.

Ans: 8/4 That is 8 shillings and 4 pence.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen